Bluebird & Other Scale Models

K7boats

Re: Bluebird Models

Post by K7boats »

Renegadenemo wrote:We did measure exactly where they were positioned in case it had any significance but they were just dotted about between the corrugations and the inside face of the outer floor skin. There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to their placement and there was only a half a dozen of them. There were pieces of wood here and there in other places but nothing of note.
Well that is another secret I defiantly think K7 is going to keep but in a weird way I don't think they were put there for no reason were they just put back in the same places when you were restoring the floor?
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

We've not put the outer floor on yet. It's about the last piece to go on the outside so it'll be late in the day but we'll throw the pieces of wood back in there before we button it up. They could be something as simple as stepping stones for people standing or kneeling on the corrugations as they worked. The hull was built upside down so someone had to get up there to put the rivets in.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
K7boats

Post by K7boats »

Renegadenemo wrote:We've not put the outer floor on yet. It's about the last piece to go on the outside so it'll be late in the day but we'll throw the pieces of wood back in there before we button it up. They could be something as simple as stepping stones for people standing or kneeling on the corrugations as they worked. The hull was built upside down so someone had to get up there to put the rivets in.
Now that sounds if it could be the answer ,never thought of that as you have said it would buckle if someone stood on it think its another "wait and see" situation for you all ...I'm surprised the had not rotted away the mud etc. must have preserved them.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Dense wood preserves extremely well under water. Hasn't someone just found the wreck of the Santa Maria?
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
K7boats

Post by K7boats »

Renegadenemo wrote:Dense wood preserves extremely well under water. Hasn't someone just found the wreck of the Santa Maria?
I know about the wood preservation, but thought when up against metal it perishes , I'll look that up about Santa Maria never heard anything about it ,must be like another Mary Rose I like reading about things like that, but have to admit Bluebird still comes top of list :D
K7boats

Post by K7boats »

K7boats wrote:
Renegadenemo wrote:Dense wood preserves extremely well under water. Hasn't someone just found the wreck of the Santa Maria?
I know about the wood preservation, but thought when up against metal it perishes , I'll look that up about Santa Maria never heard anything about it ,must be like another Mary Rose I like reading about things like that, but have to admit Bluebird still comes top of list :D
Looked for SM the only reference I can find is of the steel cargo ship of the same name.....
Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

Mike posted a link to the BBC News article on another thread a day or few ago.
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...
Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

K7boats

Post by K7boats »

If it is the SM it will be one hell of a discovery thanks for the link ,I'll dig deeper to see if their is any more news on it .
Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

You can thank Mike for that one. I don't know where he finds the time, atop his Anal Widgetry duties and that troublesome little interference called 'Work', to scour the t'interwebs for things like that but he always seems to fit in somewhere. :D