Bluebird & Other Scale Models

midlife

Re: Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Post by midlife » Fri May 05, 2017 4:05 pm

Can't believe it, I mentioned a linear actuator on here & 20 mins later I found what I need on eBay for £20, result!!!
IMG_2533.PNG
Cheers
Wayne
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

midlife

Post by midlife » Fri May 05, 2017 7:23 pm

Hi Bill, here's some better pics, where am I going wrong?

And a couple of pics with a 1/4 scale helmet in roughly the correct position.
Cheers
Wayne

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Sun May 07, 2017 8:39 am

I'm not sure how accurate you're trying to be to the actual internal structure of the boat, but with that in mind you're missing Frame 17, and F19 isn't right- it extends a couple of inches below the floor line and also, there are then just a few inches until F20 and THEN the front spar box, etc.
See here-

00.jpg

(Re. the frame numbering; they count forwards from the stern- the transom is F1, and a handy memory aid is 'Donald leans on F15'. :D )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'...no tears to cry no feelings left- this species has amused itself to death'.

midlife

Post by midlife » Sun May 07, 2017 10:25 am

Hi Mike,
The plan I've used only had one former ahead of F15 and that was half way down the cockpit. I've tried to make the frame a rough approximation of Fred's plan & ive put bulkhead/formers independently at positions where either the top or bottom surface changes shape. F19 has been left intentionally short as it is going to strengthen the transition point in the floor. Plan of attack is to make the floor out of a single sheet of fibreglass that I'm going to make on a sheet of glass to ensure it's properly flat & smooth, under the nose will be a piece of the same material that will overlap the floor to create the step & be as strong as possible.
I would have loved to make it more accurate but weight is a major concern on my model with the limited funds I can hide from the Mrs.
I have found a model turbine engine in the States with 90lb thrust which would be awesome but the $9k price tag means that it would have to be a retirement present to myself, that's 6 years away though, gulp...
Cheers
Wayne

midlife

Post by midlife » Sun May 07, 2017 9:22 pm

Been busy, made a hand held hot wire foam cutter and....
There's plenty of sanding to do & a coat of body filler before I hit it with the fibreglass.
So now I'm waiting for glue to set & I've run out of blue foam, deep joy
Cheers
Wayne

midlife

Post by midlife » Mon May 08, 2017 9:43 pm

Came out of work early & got some more blue foam[.][.]
ImageImageImage

Just on with making a fixture so I can cut the sponson profiles.
Cheers
Wayne

Richie

Post by Richie » Tue May 09, 2017 7:32 am

Looking good Wayne

Now to be accurate sponsons you need to toil over them for 18 months until you get a tolerance of 1mm...you know when you are there as you will have entered some kind of altered state :D
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

midlife

Post by midlife » Tue May 09, 2017 7:57 am

Thanks Richie, you've got to remember that it's only 1/4 scale, I'm sure it will be at least 4 1/2 months until I'm happy[.]
The glues I'm using have had me in an altered state for months lol
Cheers
Wayne

Richie

Post by Richie » Tue May 09, 2017 8:05 am

Hahaha yes I bet !

The workshop uses isopropanol to remove chocky sauce or assist with any die grinding that we do... I recall leaving the workshop on a number of occasions somewhat light headed having spent seven hours inside the hull with the covers on, riveting them up cleaning down with isopropanol as we went :D

It's all good fun
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Tue May 09, 2017 8:32 am

Careful that you don't carry the flat at the top front of the air intakes all the way back- by the time you reach the rear of the intakes, it's a semi-circle. That was something that gave Bill no end of entertainment- getting the new skins to go from a flat to a curve!
'...no tears to cry no feelings left- this species has amused itself to death'.