Bluebird & Other Scale Models

danatkins

Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Post by danatkins » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:38 pm

Hi Everyone, I am looking for a decent set of plans for Bluebird K7 that I could make a decent model for myself. I know there are kits out there but I want to start with the internal frame and build an as-accurate-as-i can model from the bottom up. Please get in touch if you have a copy of the plans or know where I can get one.

Thanks
:)

Mike Bull

Re: Bluebird Plans - Model maker

Post by Mike Bull » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:53 pm

Well, THE plans for the boat are of course still someone's intellectual property...

ace_chris

Post by ace_chris » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:55 am

There was a set of plans produced a few years back, at 1:9th scale. They were produced from some of Ken Norris's general arrangement plans of K7, and produced with his authority and permission. Think they appeared in Model boats magazine. Would perhaps suggest getting hold of a copy of these alternatively some plans are offered for sale on http://www.acrossthelake.com/ click the collectors tab and there is a whole bunch of plans for sale. Chris

lsrdatabase

Post by lsrdatabase » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:58 am

Hi There,

I can supply K7 Plans, as drawn-up for Ken Norris by Richard Corrigan. Ken gave me permission to scan them and reproduce them on CD.

Cost in the U.K. is £5.50 plus £1 P&P, and can be posted off by return mail.

Kindest regards, Fred

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:09 pm

I've just finished a 1/24 Speedline kit of K7 for workshop colleague Andy, so thought I would share.

Although I've built models all my life, I shied away from this kit as I'm not a fan of 'garage' kits at the best of times, and I'd not been impressed when I saw the contents of the kit online once. Well, Andy foisted his kit on me one day and I could hardly say no to a mate, so I rolled my sleeves up and dived in! Let's see, what's in the box...

Hull going together, tail fin (very poor shape as supplied) in place, and two bits of thin dowel as supplied for the spars.

I did what I could to add some life to the otherwise totally smooth hull by adding a few bits here and there to give it some detail and ultimately, some depth.

More bits added, and the intakes carefully opened up. I elected to leave the canopy solid as supplied and just hint at it with paint. Very poor that a vac-formed canopy isn't included for the RRP.

Spars on and seagull damage applied. You'll note that an approximate waterline is marked on the kit- this is because I intended the model to be set into a base as if afloat, so anything below the waterline was ignored. Plus, the bottom half of the hull was a different length from the top half and the transom shape as supplied was all wrong too! :roll:

The sponsons ready to go on.

Some gubbins at the back.

The basic boat all together-

-and getting some filler primer. LOTS of filler primer!

After much consideration re. colour choice, I decided to paint it blue.

Then I masked a certain area off and applied some different blue...

I added a lot of the intake/engine cover screws with a little point dipped in silver paint, and various other chips and scuffs, all to give the thing some life. Half the stickers provided with the boat were undersized- the sponson infinity symbols in particular were half the size they should be, so I muddled through with markings I made myself. Then it got set into it's 'lake' (a layer of interior filler, painted and heavily varnished to represent water)

Dented spars, funny coloured intakes, tatty paint on the fasteners...dare we do that on the 1/1 scale version? :lol:

Didn't turn out too bad in the end. Lots of artistic license and compromise, but Andy professed himself pleased, so that was nice. With thanks to our illustrious project leader, who hacked up his old bicycle pump in the name of the model having a jetpipe! :D

Renegadenemo

Re: Bluebird Models

Post by Renegadenemo » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:39 pm

Mike - stop showing off and, Fred, stop advertising on our forum or mike will moderate you.

I don't know - you two are worse than the spammers... By the way, who's Andy? We don't have an Andy.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes

Voltaire's apology when he wrote a long letter: "I didn't have time to make it shorter."

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:50 pm

'Andy' is of course a code word for some mysterious bloke. Much like 'Stig' is on 'Top Gear' of course.

EDIT- oh and to be fair to Fred, this thread is an old one I resurrected, not a recent 'advert' on his part!

lsrdatabase

Post by lsrdatabase » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:37 am

Renegadenemo wrote:Mike - stop showing off and, Fred, stop advertising on our forum or mike will moderate you.
Thanks for the plug Bill,
I don't need to advertise, as sales aren't limited to this Forum, and are going very well.
Thanks and regards, to all. Fred

I'm just the pest, that won't go away!

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:07 am

Hey Fred, I hope you're not getting all touchy in your old age. You know I'm only teasing.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes

Voltaire's apology when he wrote a long letter: "I didn't have time to make it shorter."

klingon

Post by klingon » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:55 pm

Renegadenemo wrote:Mike - stop showing off and, Fred, stop advertising on our forum or mike will moderate you.

I don't know - you two are worse than the spammers... By the way, who's Andy? We don't have an Andy.
Cheers Bill!-who am I then?-gonna somebody tell me?-Andy :cry:
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"