Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Renegadenemo

Re: Bluebird K7 model, Replicast

Post by Renegadenemo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:07 am

I'm about to start a 1/43rd Replicast K7 kit and have a few colour questions (no not the blue). Were the bottom wet surfaces of the boat/sponsons bare aluminium, what colour was the seat/headrest and safety harnesses? Did the headrest still have the cutout for the oxygen pipe?
Thanks in advance Roger.
Hi Roger, and welcome to the forum. Please, ask away - one of us will keep you right.

Planing wedges were plain aluminium, underside was graphite grey and the seat and headrest were trimmed in a dark blue, possibly Navy (Mike?). No idea about the harness. The cutout in the headrest for the Siebe Gorman reg' was there 'til the last.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes

Voltaire's apology when he wrote a long letter: "I didn't have time to make it shorter."

Mike Bull

Re: Bluebird K7 model, Replicast

Post by Mike Bull » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:44 am

Yeah, the cockpit vinyl was a very dark blue, though there was a hodge-podge of bits added at different times. The harness was that kind of RAF blue/grey colour, pretty much the same colour as Donald's inner cloth helmet. Here's a peep at it in '66-

14890446_1870239396593698_4449115628956403558_o.jpg

-and another one of a similar type-

blue harness.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

midlife

Re: Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Post by midlife » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:07 pm

Here's a pic from the build diariesImage
Cheers
Wayne

Black Knight

Post by Black Knight » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:49 pm

Are those 2 holes where the harness fixes to the spar? Never noticed the cut out for theoxygen connector before, thought a new headrest was fitted after it's removal.

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:03 am

The harness bolts to the frame tube at F15, not the spar; the holes are for spanner access. (The lower mounts of course were largely bolted into fresh air)

This is an early headrest, with horizontal stitching and high mounted regulator-

01.jpg
-and this is a back view of the original final headrest that we copied in the diary pic above; the cut out is moved down to the lower corner, but as far as we can tell, there was never a regulator fitted. (Bill did half a job and never found the metal panel that the headrest attaches to) But, that corner of things is always below the edge of the cockpit in most photos or blocked by some bloke sitting in there, so it's hard to be definitive. It's also where the main wiring loom came through into the cockpit before the '66 intakes failure, so maybe the cut out was just for that.

02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Black Knight

Post by Black Knight » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:45 pm

So you have the original headrest?

Wouldn't it have been better to bolt to the spar? Or was it like the mask? all for show?

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:43 am

Wouldn't it have been better to bolt to the spar? Or was it like the mask? all for show?
The spar is not as strong as the steel frame tubes from the point of view of getting a bolt fixing into it.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes

Voltaire's apology when he wrote a long letter: "I didn't have time to make it shorter."

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:59 am

Black Knight wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:45 pm
So you have the original headrest?
The original headrest is at Filching.

00.jpg

Black Knight

Post by Black Knight » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:03 pm

I don't remember seeing it when I visited many years ago.

Black Knight

Post by Black Knight » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:05 pm

Were the sides at shoulder level padded?