Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Renegadenemo

Re: Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Post by Renegadenemo »

Looking good, Rich. Did he really wear one of those masks or are you just trying to stop him catching germs at the mo? :lol: Presumably it was only to carry a radio mic if he did.

We once worked out that the volume inside one of those masks, if you include the tube, would cause a lot of re-breathing your own exhaled CO2 with no positive pressure to flush it out and might have resulted in hypercapnia and impaired Donald on those last runs. CO2 is pretty narcotic stuff if you get enough of inside of you. It would make for an interesting experiment one day.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Loving the details appearing on the hull now.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
RichM

Post by RichM »

Just keeping him safe in the current climate with that mask ;) but seriously, I think it was only for the radio, as the only pictures I’ve seen show no tube attached.
That’s interesting, like you say, there’s not much room in there for much air, I’m not volunteering to be CO2 poinsoned in the name of science :lol:

Cheers Richie, a long way to go still - then I’ve got the 1/6th Spirit of Australia to detail...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

That’s interesting, like you say, there’s not much room in there for much air, I’m not volunteering to be CO2 poinsoned in the name of science
You wouldn't like it much. I've never tried hypercapnia at atmospheric pressure but I've done it a few times under the sea.

Not sure how narcotic it is up here but inert gas narcosis can be lots of fun. Nitrous oxide, for example, is what they give birthing women to dull the pain just until it's too late to opt for the expensive Pethidine. Laughing gas - the modern version is used to make your kids woozy as their unwanted teeth are dragged from their skulls then they get to keep a bubblegum flavoured nasal mask as a souvenir to show the Tooth Fairy. I also made the mistake of pointing out to my kids that it's the propellant for that squirty cream so if you leave the tin squirty-end uppermost then just take a good blast on the gas you get a good head-rush and next time you want frothy cream you get a milky dribble.

Nitrogen narcosis is equally fun but it's a little more dangerous as it's difficult to achieve in your kitchen or with anything you might find in the fridge. The air you're breathing now is approximately 80% Nitrogen and 20% Oxygen so if the pressure is 1 bar your partial pressure (PO2) is 0.2 bar and your PN2 is 0.8 bar. Descend ten metres under water and you add a bar of water pressure so your PO2 is now 0.4 bar and your PN2 is now 1.6 bar, descend another 10m and you get another bar and so on. Get to a PN2 of about 2 bar and you feel like you've stopped off on the way down for a couple of pints and as you carry on things only get worse. This is why divers add helium to the breathing mix but this brings another world of problems that, were you suitably stoned, you'd likely not care about. 'The narcs' is quite nice though bad for the memory and it's not uncommon to to return from a deep air dive wondering what just happened but overdose on CO2 and it's not nice at all.

The usual cause of this is breathing too heavily at depth. The lungs are very well designed to take in normal air, swill it about awhile to let all the gas exchanging go on in the alveoli, the smallest spaces in the lungs, then throw the whole lot out again before sucking in a fresh batch. This doesn't work so well at depth, though, because the gas is much denser and heading towards becoming a liquid so it doesn't swirl about as nature intended it just washes in and out without doing its job of providing O2 and removing CO2. At this point your body spots the buildup of CO2 in your blood and commands that you breathe harder and faster and this just makes matters worse. Now the gas is washing in and out even faster making your chest muscles and diaphragm work harder and thereby producing more CO2 - it's a vicious circle and supreme control is needed to override the body's natural system and take long, tidal breaths until you've off-gassed the CO2 at which point things will slowly return to normal.

Now I've no idea how far you can reproduce the symptoms at 1 bar with a fighter pilot's mask and a bunch of heavy breathing but if you can get anywhere near it'll befuddle your brain in a most unpleasant way. Hypercapnia under water brought on paranoia and the terrors for me - I once convinced myself there was a shark hiding in a hole whereas it would have been forty willing virgins on Nitrogen so, by all means, subject yourself and we'll experiment on you in the workshop. The first test will be making tea for an entire Saturday crew whilst off your face on CO2.

Richie

Post by Richie »

If we are playing that game, I will bring the burns / scalds kit for Rich.

Loving the sprit of Australia model Rich.....at this rate you are going to have to take a mortgage out for turbines ! Unless you are just going to transplant the power pack between models, after all you can only drive one at a time :)
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
RichM

Post by RichM »

Interesting - I didn’t realise the science behind the pressures relative to depth increases, but makes sense now - the extent of my knowledge of compressed gasses is inflating tyres for a living...
You want to see how bad my tea making skills are without any external influences first :shock:

As is stands, K7 is a small 10lb engine, and Spirt is 22lb, it’s certainly a monster!
Currently in the market for something between the two for Crusader - I told John he needs to pay for it though, you can see he looks a bit shocked :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I told John he needs to pay for it though, you can see he looks a bit shocked
He's probably shocked at having to cling to that sponson with his arse cheeks in case he falls off! or did you just post the pic 90 degrees off? :lol:

RichM

Post by RichM »

Hanging on by the seat of his pants I reckon :lol:
RichM

Post by RichM »

Now with all this virus malarkey, I’ve had a lot of time on my hands to look at some Crusader stills from the Castrol film.
It’s long been disputed about the colour photos showing some kind of gold pinstripe between the red and silver.
This gold doesn’t appear on black and white photos.
Going back to my theory that Cobb copied the colour scheme of the car onto the boat, I started looking. The red Mobil horse has a white outline... could it be??
This would explain why the b&w photos show no line, as the silver of the boat often appears white.
Enclosed are some colour stills...
please let me know if being shut in my house is beginning to affect my eye sight?
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I'd say you have that about right. Certainly looks as though there's a white border about a half inch wide around the red sections.