Bluebird & Other Scale Models

rich1608

Re: Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Post by rich1608 »

If someone could pull some strings and get one of the model K7s with a real turbine to run at the full-size K7's next outing that would be awesome.
Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

Most of you have seen my gas turbine 1/6th scale model K7 on you tube running in the lake district. My son Ian who is actually now the owner gets a bit nervous running it with folk watching however I don't have that problem. I would be very happy to take the model to wherever and demo run it. Particularly in the knowledge there will be a recovery boat! I have plenty of time on my hands. BTW Ian is self employed and would find taking time off difficult however I am sure he will speak for himself.

BTW There are gas turbine powered models and gas turbine powered models that work really well- there is a difference.

I think I can mention without getting shot at; Joerg is very well known in the world of fast electric racing boats, national champion I believe as was I around 18 years ago. He and I never met and it would be good to meet up with a kindred spirit. He still uses pure fast electric racing boats but these day I keep to fast scale models of famous boats. (I may still have one of my racing boats hidden away somewhere)
JfromJAGs

Post by JfromJAGs »

Renegadenemo wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:01 am ...cars...

But, seriously, please do bring those ridiculously fast RC boats over, I for one would love to see that for real as I'm sure would the rest of us. Post a link so everyone can see how stupidly fast they go. I kid you not, folks, these things are amazing. Our sausage-eating pals really have this worked out... :D
Concerning cars, to be honest, I do like old british metal, both cars and especially bikes (and of course boats!). Some day I want a frogeye (if I still fit inside by then...), but sooner than that I will get myself an old black AJS model 18, late 40s or early 50s.

Here are 2 videos from the last run in 2017. Its the current record of 314km/h or 195mph avg:
* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvTpkAt3tnE
* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRxEuTfIqso

In about 2 1/2 weeks we have the next event, again on the olympic rowing lake in Munich. So if someone happens to visit the Octoberfest in Munich, we'll be there from September 28 to 30 with a group of about 35 RC speed boat enthusiasts (also hydroplanes, catamarans and mono hulls). BTW, since the 2001 event held in LA and the 80mph record we were going for back then, the price for the next 20mph record is always a bottle of Glenfarclas 105 single malt.

Bill, when you have dates for an event, let me know. We'll be there.
Last edited by JfromJAGs on Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JfromJAGs

Post by JfromJAGs »

Richie wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:09 am Cool ! Running brushless, EDF, or turbine ?
Brushless motor, surface piercing prop, close to 70k RPM, 4kg of weight and about 32 HP at acceleration. 0-180mph in about 2s. Maybe 3. :D
JfromJAGs

Post by JfromJAGs »

rich1608 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:38 am If someone could pull some strings and get one of the model K7s with a real turbine to run at the full-size K7's next outing that would be awesome.
I had the same idea. How beautiful would that be? If Ernie gets over his psycho-elephant thing - which I think he can - then this would be so cool.
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

There are quite a few other K7 models out there, many large scale turbine powered too, would definitely be cool to get a bunch of them together!!
Richie

Post by Richie »

I think we derailed this thread... not a bad thing though :lol:

Jfromjags.

Have you thought about fitting FPV to your boats ? That’d be amazing, onboard views as it’s happening.

I am guessing you also have some pretty steep pitched props fitted too..

My old man used to race powerboats back in the day (phantom 16 - Snap-On) I recall props were a big deal...

Great stuff
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
longarmedgibbon

Post by longarmedgibbon »

ace_chris wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:19 am There are quite a few other K7 models out there, many large scale turbine powered too, would definitely be cool to get a bunch of them together!!
Heres a short vid of my dads ernie lazenby k7 i ran at ullswater https://youtu.be/mJYAz7wHZjY
mickday

Post by mickday »

ace_chris wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:19 am There are quite a few other K7 models out there, many large scale turbine powered too, would definitely be cool to get a bunch of them together!!
I would love to bring my 1:4.3 scale GT powered K7 along to any future event
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

Sounds amazing Mick! Do you have any footage of it running?