Orpheus Conversion/Lip Thickening

rob565uk

Re: Orpheus Conversion/Lip Thickening

Post by rob565uk »

Mike Bull wrote:That makes me think of part of the reason we're rebuilding K7...never mind the ruddy crash, she was AMAZING! 8-)

Quite so, Mike......still the most successful WWSR boat in history, in terms of marks achieved, and I don't expect this will ever be bettered

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't

Roger Wilco

Post by Roger Wilco »

Sorry, saw the thread title and thought it was another one of those 'Leslie Ash' threads. Do carry on...

Russ

Post by Russ »

"While you were at Cosford looking at the TSR2's intakes,...".

I certainly did spend time looking at all the aircraft in the Test Flight hanger at Cosford, including the ones you mention.

All the aircraft there had caught my interest when I was growing up because there were so many different solutions employed to meet the different problems each one met. It was deeply satisfying to finally see these machines close up. Incidentally, there is a claimed design lineage from TSR2 to the Jaguar on an historic aviation forum that has discussed TSR2 at length. At least one of the members here has an alter-ego over on that forum, fascinating stuff.

quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

Russ wrote:All the aircraft there had caught my interest when I was growing up because there were so many different solutions employed to meet the different problems each one met ... fascinating stuff.
Yes, it's a place-and-a-half, Cosford, and whenever I'm travelling to meetings even remotely in that region of the country and find myself with an hour to spare I divert over there and dash into that hangar in particular, as the test aircraft are the ones that float my boat.

And I do mean that literally, as I "use" my trips to Cosford to re-energise. I look at the results of the efforts so many people must have made to get those weird and wonderful prototype/research aircraft in the air, often battling against the odds to validate some aerodynamic theory or other and with absolutely no guarantee of success, and I figure getting a WWSR boat built isn't a lot different.

I made my first flight at RAF Cosford, in a de Havilland Chipmunk, as an Air Training Corps cadet in the summer of 1969 - on the same day Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin made the first landing on the Moon in Apollo 11. It was our annual summer camp, a long way from home: I was 13, and we were living in Glasgow in those days.

Great memories.

And don't forget, while we're on the subject of test-flying, the great friendship that existed between a test pilot not long departed - Neville Duke - and our very own Donald Campbell.

quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

Yes, Mike ... an inspiring time, for many people - and it inspired many songs.

The big hit that was on the radio all the time back then was that classic 60s anthem, Something In The Air, by Thunderclap Newman.

And there I was, at Cosford, making my first flight ... Something In The Air ... geddit?

Oh, please yourself! ;)

klingon

Post by klingon »

Funnily enough I just joined the RAF in 1969 and all my mates rolled about when they heard that record-was taken up to Cosford as part of my training to see all the stuff they had there-and to learn to fly in a Chipmunk!-God I feel old! :lol:
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"