The Bloodhound SSC/Thrust/Noble Thread

ace_chris

Re: Noble/Bloodhound SSC/Rocket Science

Post by ace_chris »

Bloodhound have even made it to the front page of the BBC website! For those with a facebook inclination there have been a whole bunch of updates yesterday and this morning. Please dont throw me off here for using the 'F' word...! Chris
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I don't see why we should tolerate such foul and disgusting language on our forum. That's the F-word appeared and I've seen the C-word this week too. Will Mr Moderator please add F******k and the abbreviation of 'can not' to the swear filter without delay.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

Haha, you'll maybe need to add the Tw*t word to the swear filter too... ;) Chris
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I once got a very in-depth and sneaky look around the Eurofighter facitlity at Warton including the opportunity to crawl over a pair of spare engines. I was told by an engineer that they have three modes. Dry - ie no afterburner. Wet - afterburners lit and 'combat mode', which can only be sustained for a matter of seconds before things start peeling off the airframe but it'll let you outrun a missile after which the entire reheat end of the engine must go in the skip. How fast must that be!

lsrdatabase

Post by lsrdatabase »

Hi All,

Front page of the New Scientist has an article on Blopodhound.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 ... h-car.html

Regards, Fred

"I'm just a pest, that won't go away!"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

For those amongst us that followed the two previous campaigns led by Mr. Noble (driver and project leader first time around with Thrust II and project leader only 2nd time on Thrust S.S.C.) will have some idea as to how Richard works. I am no expert on aerodynamics but when viewing the Bloodhound for the first time I did not feel as inspired by the car as I did when i first viewed Thrust S.S.C in the Daily Mirror. Just a simple black and white picture of the intended beast which I felt straightaway that gut feeling that we had something special. This was not the case with Bloodhound!! Which is apparently named in honour of Ron Ayers Bloodhound Missile which he never really got the acclaim for? So Richard named this project with that in mind I am led to believe however it doesn't really roll of the tongue now does it. Anyway on attending the Forum 28 in Barrow and listening to the gentleman giving his presentation on the Bloodhound Project which was very good it was also clear that he had no previous involvement in any record breaking. And new little of other record breakers such as Craig Breedloves Spirit of America car which was up against Thrust S.S.C out in Black Rock Desert Nevada. The point being I had issues with the current design of Bloodhounds rear end because all the way through 1995/1996 we had been told Breedlove had the wrong design of car and the rear end which is basically the same as Bloodhound today would not work at the speed of sound. Breedlove would have to much lift at the back end! So we already new that which is why I asked the question at Forum 28 why are we going down this route of No tail Plane and the rear end? Bloodhound was already in to a major re-design although we already new that Breedlove in 1997 had gotten this lift at the rear of S.O.A and subsequently went and crashed at 675 M.P.H! Which resulted in the fastest U turn in history at 675 M.P.H and he managed to walk away from it Yet Again ! Thank God.

Now that we have reversed the positions of the power plants and added a tail plane I feel not only does the car look better but we can get the job done! It also reminds me of Kens saying K.I.S.S ( Keep it simple Stupid) if it looks good you are half way there! Another learning curve I feel from Mr. Noble so that learning can be had by the universities I feel. I don't think Richard will be giving every little detail or secret away regardless! ;)

Novie
I'll Be Back
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
lsrdatabase

Post by lsrdatabase »

Hi all,

First of all, congratulations to all who are working on K7, the standard of workmanship is second to none. I know I consider it an honour to have spent a couple of days working on the ‘Donald’s’ seat some time ago.

Please keep up the exceptionally high standards you have set yourselves, it will truly be worthwhile when ‘SHE’ is finally finished.

Following on from Richard’s latest report on Bloodhound here is another article link in the ‘Outside the Box’ series from Brian Leconber. It gives some idea of the support needed to mount an attempt on the W.L.S.R. in the 21st century.

http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/news.cfm?w ... it_id=4631

Best of seasons greeting to you all.

Regards from, Fred & Jo

"I'm just that pest, who want go away!"
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Hi Fred and Jo,

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement - we'll keep the standard up, don't you worry!

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Nice pieces there and I agree completely with Richard's team structuring and leadership ethos. Great project - makes me proud to be British.

lsrdatabase

BloodhoundSSC - Crossed Flags

Post by lsrdatabase »

Hi All,

For those interested, the Crossed Badges on Bloodhounds Nose, have been uncovered.

Regards to all, Fred

'I'm just that bloke, who won't go away!'
New Nose Badge.jpg

Merged with existing thread -Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.