Nomadic, Titanic & other historic vessels

Richie

Re: Nomadic, Titanic & other historic vessels

Post by Richie » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:09 pm

Surfing the tinterweb tonight and I found this site.

http://www.shipwreckfilms.co.uk/page17.html

Will no doubt bring back a number of memories for Bill.
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:29 am

Will no doubt bring back a number of memories for Bill.
Indeed - a tremendous exped' organised and managed by Carl. I loved working for Carl, he was such a gifted leader it was a breath of fresh air to get up in the morning and just ask him what he wanted doing that day. Britannic 03 was his way of paying back the favour he always felt he'd been done by being chosen as the extra diver on the Bluebird gig. Our little sonar team was absolutely delighted to be able to hand him the line of mine cradles and settle an eighty-odd year old controversy.
I'm also secretly very proud that that sidescan shot has been the standard for over a decade now and has been published in untold numbers of books, magazines and websites. Maybe one day we'll be invited back to do some new ones but I think that slightly low-res black and white format somehow suits the ship and that is maybe why none of the subsequent images have ever been as popular so we'd have to think very carefully about how we shot it next time around.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes

Voltaire's apology when he wrote a long letter: "I didn't have time to make it shorter."

Richie

Post by Richie » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:01 pm

Found some new footage of the Oslofjord taken back in 2004

At first I thought it may be the Chandris as the first seconds seem to show what appears to be clumps of .303

Will let Bill ID the wreck though...... Big gnarly lobsers on there that's for sure ! Would that be where Mr Smith got his arm stuck ?

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:03 am

Interesting footage of the poor old Turbinia being chopped in two in 1927-

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-f ... y/Turbinia

Richie

Post by Richie » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:20 am

Is the Turbinia not in the discovery museum ?

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:26 am

It is now, yes. It was cut in two so it's machinery could be displayed by the Science Museum, who only had room for the aft end! Nowadays in the Discovery Museum she's the original bow, original stern, and a slightly indeterminate middle.

It's a common misconception that the ship was cut in two by another vessel that was launched into it from the other side of the Tyne, but this actually happened in 1907 and Turbinia was repaired and not completely/deliberately halved until 1927, as shown in the Pathe clip.

quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:10 pm

I grew up with a succession of stirring tales about the Turbinia from my Dad, who took me to see the ship when I was a lad. Newcastle Municipal Museum of Science and Industry. Stooping beneath it to creep under the keel - you could in those days, there were no ropes to prevent you - I came up a little too soon on the other side and bumped my head. It was one of those moments you always remember.

The Turbinia was held up to me in childhood as an example of British engineering ingenuity - not to mention audacity. Parsons must have been as much a showman as he was an engineer. He knew he had to "sell" his big idea, and he did it with bags of verve ... and downright cheek.

Decades later, when a certain Andy Green came to speak at one of our fund-raising dinners in Nottingham, to illustrate his theme of British engineering ingenuity he chose the Turbinia. My father, sadly now no longer with us, sat in the audience that night and it felt like the whole thing had come full circle.

Nigel

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:45 pm

While there's plenty of photos and newsreel footage of the Olympic arriving at Palmer's yard in Jarrow to be scrapped, I'd always wanted to see a picture of the ship actually entering the Tyne, but could never find one. Until now!
Olympic- Tyne.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Richie

Post by Richie » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:23 am

Another one has gone to the bottom with what appears to be the loss of all hands.

Scotland

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-h ... s-30667084

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:33 pm

Interesting BBC News feature on the work being carried out on HMS Victory-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-30926084

There's not a whole lot of it that is actually 250 years old, of course...yellow was present at launch, orange was present at Trafalgar, and red is 1923 to now-
crossSections.png
I'm sure somebody worked out once that there's more original wood in the Mary Rose!
155697-004-0A11BF8E.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.