Nomadic, Titanic & other historic vessels

polo

Re: Nomadic, Titanic & other historic vessels

Post by polo »

Richie, the mere fact that your wary of using the kit tells me with the training [Bill has offered !] you would do it safely. Its the gung ho's that scare the living c**p out of me !
Richie

Post by Richie »

Been reading up on HMS Unity. Interesting story regarding one of our subs that cruised out into the path of an oncoming convoy in zero visibility... The sinking shrouded in controversy over an undelivered report which the captain did or didn't get !

Lying at 55m (48 for the conning tower)

It's taking me a while to get through the book, but so far out of the 285+ wrecks on our coastline, this one is one of the more interesting (and tragic) wrecks off our coast. Interestingly enough it's location is omitted from the page to preserve the war grave.

"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

It's only in about 42m and I wonder if that pic was actually taken on Unity. If you want the position and the sidescan shots we were first to find and dive it in the mid 90s. There's only two bodies in there as the Donald ordered collision stations and abandon ship in good time and another sailor was washed off the casing - The captain's prompt action is what saved him his job. There's a big dig in the portside from the collision an the hydroplne on that side is missing. She's laid over quite steeply to Stbd and the hatch is wide open. Much of the outer casing was rotted away when I last dived her, which is why I wonder about the pic.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Richie

Post by Richie »

I don't know when the shot was taken, think it came from divernet.com
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Richie

Post by Richie »

In the book it has first hand accounts from members of the crew, interesting stuff !
Richie

Post by Richie »

Surfing the tinterweb tonight and I found this site.

http://www.shipwreckfilms.co.uk/page17.html

Will no doubt bring back a number of memories for Bill.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Will no doubt bring back a number of memories for Bill.
Indeed - a tremendous exped' organised and managed by Carl. I loved working for Carl, he was such a gifted leader it was a breath of fresh air to get up in the morning and just ask him what he wanted doing that day. Britannic 03 was his way of paying back the favour he always felt he'd been done by being chosen as the extra diver on the Bluebird gig. Our little sonar team was absolutely delighted to be able to hand him the line of mine cradles and settle an eighty-odd year old controversy.
I'm also secretly very proud that that sidescan shot has been the standard for over a decade now and has been published in untold numbers of books, magazines and websites. Maybe one day we'll be invited back to do some new ones but I think that slightly low-res black and white format somehow suits the ship and that is maybe why none of the subsequent images have ever been as popular so we'd have to think very carefully about how we shot it next time around.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Found some new footage of the Oslofjord taken back in 2004

At first I thought it may be the Chandris as the first seconds seem to show what appears to be clumps of .303

Will let Bill ID the wreck though...... Big gnarly lobsers on there that's for sure ! Would that be where Mr Smith got his arm stuck ?
Richie

Post by Richie »

Is the Turbinia not in the discovery museum ?
quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

I grew up with a succession of stirring tales about the Turbinia from my Dad, who took me to see the ship when I was a lad. Newcastle Municipal Museum of Science and Industry. Stooping beneath it to creep under the keel - you could in those days, there were no ropes to prevent you - I came up a little too soon on the other side and bumped my head. It was one of those moments you always remember.

The Turbinia was held up to me in childhood as an example of British engineering ingenuity - not to mention audacity. Parsons must have been as much a showman as he was an engineer. He knew he had to "sell" his big idea, and he did it with bags of verve ... and downright cheek.

Decades later, when a certain Andy Green came to speak at one of our fund-raising dinners in Nottingham, to illustrate his theme of British engineering ingenuity he chose the Turbinia. My father, sadly now no longer with us, sat in the audience that night and it felt like the whole thing had come full circle.

Nigel