Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

malcolm uk

Re: Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

Post by malcolm uk »

At least Audi put it on a race track and not a straight airfield. I wonder what the skill level of the human who tried it afterwards was and whose skills had been programmed into the computers? (No room for shopping in that boot :) ). I am glad that the FIA rules still state that a car has to be controlled by a driver, to break or establish a land speed record.
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations
quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

I'm often asked at the talks I do around the country - as recently as last week at the University of Northumbria - whether remote control is a viable option, on safety grounds. I explain that there is a regulatory requirement for a human driver to be on-board, so rules are rules and there's an end to it. But I also make the point that it is the element of human risk that makes speed-record-breaking what it is.

The analogy I use is that it is probably feasible now for a robot to be developed that can climb the most difficult mountains, such as K2. But where is the excitement in that? There needs to be the test of the person as well as the machine. Above all else, it is a human endeavour.

That said, electronics will play a greater role. Even the latest fork-lift trucks have fly-by-wire controls. Formula 1 cars now have FBW braking systems. There is at least one production road-going car now with FBW steering. It's a developing trend, on both safety and efficiency grounds. And that's only one area. Sensors and data-acquisition is another area in which advances are inevitable.

There needs to be technical progress along with the sweat, or speed-records stagnate.

Nigel
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

Audi have just announced there "driverless" car managed a lap of a track (unnamed) faster than the version driven by a human, peaking at 149 mph. Like you say Nigel, impressive technology, but I bet it wasn't much fun!
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
quicksilver-wsr

I don't blame Audi or anybody else for experimenting with this type of technology. They are simply pointing the way to what will probably become the long-term future of day-to-day motoring.

But that's a way off yet - so, meanwhile, long live the driver at the wheel!

The machine will always be quicker than the human, if it's properly set up, because it can optimise everything to wring the last ounce of performance out, with utter consistency lap after lap after lap. It's everything built-in ... it's traction control and ABS, it's sensing the slip-angle of the tyres, measuring the inertial forces as the car rolls around, and lots more besides. And it can react instantaneously.

An interesting exercise. After all, there's been aircraft that can fly complete missions without pilots for decades now.

Nigel
polo

Post by polo »

Guy Lombardo had Tempo-Alcoa, a jet hydroplane that was radio controlled in 1960.

It Crashed and sank
quicksilver-wsr

The tech was pretty second-rate back then. Plus it needs to be the right kit for the job. Plus it's only going to be as good as the guy (joke? :D ) steering it from the shore - which must be a lot more difficult than when just sitting in it.

Good point, though. I'd forgotten about that boat being radio-controlled.

Which reminds me that I used to have a large photo of Lombardo in action which he'd signed and dedicated as a gift to Donald. Don't have it now, though :(

Nigel
quicksilver-wsr

A different type of attempt, where there was no particular need for publicity, as there were no sponsors to appease.

A stunning achievement. That record stood for so long, and now it's been broken twice in as many years.

Nigel
malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk »

This attempt on a record has even less public detail than the Budweiser Rocket Car 'Speed of Sound' effort, however if the FAI have now received and approved all of the information independently then perhaps it shows how a 'low key' approach can bring exceptional results. (More of a release than a 'jump' however).

The 'carriage' beneath the balloon seems to demonstrate that the riskiest part of this adventure was getting to an altitude above ground to deploy the chute if the balloon launch had gone awry - and many high altitude balloon launches have failed spectacularly on ground-release.

Not having any interest in testing parachuting myself, it was a shame the landing was so untidy. But after beating Andy Green with no motive power at all perhaps that can be excused.
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations
rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

This has to be one of the best and most bold examples of "keeping it simple" that I have seen. A great achievement in many ways.

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 »

well said Rob!
The world is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, then steal your dreams..