Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

dave

Re: Technical Talk

Post by dave »

I have just visited the spirit of Australia web site, and I'm amazed at the rate of progress Mr Warby and son has achieved, in the design and construction of their craft.

Other WWSR sites appear to suffer from an achievement paralysis. In particular there is a site which has been on the go for well over 17 years with little to show for the time and cost consumed over those years.
quicksilver-wsr

Re: Technical Talk

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

dave wrote:Other WWSR sites appear to suffer from an achievement paralysis. In particular there is a site which has been on the go for well over 17 years with little to show for the time and cost consumed over those years.
I'll step around the Warby project, as they are well capable of speaking for themselves. I'll stick to comments about Quicksilver - which this jibe is clearly aimed at.

Yes, our website has been there a long time. It'll actually be 16 years this coming March, but you're nearly right.

Put crisply, I would rather persevere with a project year after year than do either of the two alternatives ...

One is to not bother at all with a record project, which is what 99.9% of speed-record enthusiasts do. It's too late, though, in my case - much too late, as I've started. Besides, I took it on in the first place because I knew it was going to be a monumental challenge. That was the whole point at the beginning.

The other alternative, of course, is to give up - and that's what countless other WWSR projects have done down the years that I've been pursuing our project. Stage One, put a website up. Stage Two, take the website down again. Stage Three, quietly give up when no-one is noticing anymore.

Far better, in my book, to make a start and then press on regardless.

You have the Warby project to support. You should be a happy man. It looks like it is close to going on the water, so you'll have something to cheer along.

I genuinely feel sorry for you, Dave - whoever you are - that at this time of the year you only have spite in your heart.

Your argument is a very tired one now, mate. No-one is that bothered about it.

Nigel
ozjet400

Re: Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

Post by ozjet400 »

wow...................Sounds like your barking up the wrong tree mate, it isn't this Dave !!

Admin will confirm that

DW
quicksilver-wsr

No, not at all ... :?

You are "ozjet400" and he is "dave". I'm assuming he is someone from the UK. But who cares?

Happy Christmas.

Nigel
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

quicksilver-wsr wrote:No, not at all ... :?

You are "ozjet400" and he is "dave". I'm assuming he is someone from the UK. But who cares?

Happy Christmas.

Nigel
Who cares indeed. Personally, I have the utmost respect for anybody who is prepared to get out there and push the boundaries; I don't support one project over another, I just hope that everybody stays safe and has the opportunity to fulfil their potential and that of their craft or vehicle. That is the only test that matters and the records will speak for themselves long after the bullsh*t has ceased.

Merry Christmas one and all. :-)
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
quicksilver-wsr

mtskull wrote:I just hope that everybody stays safe and has the opportunity to fulfil their potential and that of their craft or vehicle. That is the only test that matters and the records will speak for themselves long after the bullsh*t has ceased.

Merry Christmas one and all. :-)
Agreed. And I'm not sure how the whole subject got so personalised as it has down the years. For me it's not about personalities, particularly. It's about the technical challenge, more than anything else.

Competitors won't get to fulfil their potential, or the potential of their craft or vehicle, if others are deliberately employing spoiling-tactics to ruin their chances. Everyone has a right to say that so-and-so is a no-hoper. It's called free speech. But making up malicious stories and spreading them around to trip the next guy up isn't fair play.

At the end of the day, some boats will make it onto the water and get onto the plane, but most won't. Likewise, some cars and motorcycles will get to run at speed, whilst most won't. There is a natural filtration process that takes place.

The ones who do best will likely be the ones that worked the hardest.

Merry Christmas to all, and let's hope 2015 is a good one for everybody.

Nigel
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

"Everybody is having crack"!!!! I don't think so Mike, I don't even smoke! (Though I may have mis-read that).

Record breaking is much like F1 to me, I am in awe of the tecnical aspect, and you can be certain every project, regardless of how far it gets, will add something, tangible or otherwise. The personanlities, sometimes (and I am thinking more toward F1 here) can suck the fun out of the whole thing, but the majority add to the subject (s), and in both, I have made more friends than enemies. Happy Christmas to all!!
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
ozjet400

Post by ozjet400 »

Ratliff is record breakings version of "the daily mirror's book of facts"... without the facts.....:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

:lol:
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
polo

Post by polo »

I've just heard a rumour that there is a WWSR boat in Australia that is nearly built that is up for sale. I know it's not the the Warby boat so could it be the Colin Johns boat ? Can anyone shed light on this or is it just rumour?