Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

mtskull

Re: Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

Post by mtskull » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:09 pm

Am I just very cynical, or am I correct in thinking that 477mph in a wingless 1950's aircraft is pushing neither the boundaries of speed nor technology?
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.

ace_chris

Post by ace_chris » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:37 pm

Bit worrying that something like the steering essentially packed up at such relatively low speed, surely there must have been some low speed testing for this?

In terms of putting a bird into a car and setting a record, good luck but it gets me about as excited about the prospect of them competing in F1. Whatever next, grid girls being replaced by blokes...

mtskull

Post by mtskull » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:24 pm

ace_chris wrote: In terms of putting a bird into a car and setting a record, good luck but it gets me about as excited about the prospect of them competing in F1.
To my mind, separate categories for women are only appropriate in sports where men enjoy a physiological advantage, thereby rendering fair competition between the sexes impossible. As there is no physical reason why a woman with the right stuff could not challenge outright for land or water speed records, the notion of women's records is irrelevant, IMHO.
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:28 pm

mtskull wrote:Am I just very cynical, or am I correct in thinking that 477mph in a wingless 1950's aircraft is pushing neither the boundaries of speed nor technology?
If you're very cynical, then so am I. I think NAE will either...

1, quietly go away and never achieve anything,
2, be put out of business by Bloodhound or
3, kill someone.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:43 am

If you're very cynical, then so am I. I think NAE will either...

1, quietly go away and never achieve anything,
2, be put out of business by Bloodhound or
3, kill someone.
I'd agree with that - I also think Bloodhound is a step too far. I mean, let's face it, it's so automated and meaningful control at those speeds is so beyond reasonable human performance, that they may as well go fully automated and leave the victim out of the equation.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes

Voltaire's apology when he wrote a long letter: "I didn't have time to make it shorter."

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:43 am

jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:26 pm

And who would argue against them succeeding...???
The world is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, then steal your dreams..

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:33 pm

Was talking to Ken a few days ago and the boat is only waiting on a few bits and bobs before she's ready to be fired up. I was offering our technical Orph' support in the event of any engine issues as Ken's not had an Orph' before.
I would love to see them succeed...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes

Voltaire's apology when he wrote a long letter: "I didn't have time to make it shorter."

jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:15 am

You and me both! I met Ken in the Black Bull in Coniston nine years ago, he was sat there chatting to Novie, I nearly fell in a heap! He was a lovely bloke,spent a couple of hours and a few beers chatting to him. I wish him and Dave all the very best.
The world is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, then steal your dreams..

rob565uk

Post by rob565uk » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:59 am

I haven't had the pleasure of meeting either of the Warbys, but suspect a lot of people over here would like to see them succeed. Their determination, persistence, skill and sheer courage have to be admired and I wish them every success.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it