Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

Renegadenemo

Re: Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

Post by Renegadenemo »

I was more intrigued with the Stanley Steamer... a fascinating old beast.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Excelsior2007

Post by Excelsior2007 »

I remember watching on BBC 2 a couple of months ago a documentary about the steam powered car and Don Wales' involvement with the project. Good to see that the Campbells are still doing what they do best.
jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 »

the fact that all the modern technology only increase the record by the amount it did just shows what a fantastic effort the stanley steamer was. not to take anything away from mr wales and the team of course. just shows world records are not easily won
The world is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, then steal your dreams..
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Has anyone researched the Stanley Steamer? I did and they were a very slick piece of machinery. Record breaking in one basically involved cooking the small, vertical boiler to impossible pressures then hanging on for dear life. But... there's not one recorded case of a SS boiler failing under pressure and that's interesting. It seems the limiting factor was the chassis, aero' and handling of the machine - not its machinery so if you want a steam-car record get the boiler and engine drawings and stick the powerplant into a better platform.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Excelsior2007

Post by Excelsior2007 »

In regards to Quest - looks a fascinating boat. I can see the similarities between it and K7. Also puts me in mind about the boat I'm currently writing about in my new book, Hunter's Hurdle.
sheppane

Post by sheppane »

An early image of SoA taken in 77. Did she run without the air intake cowling in this condition?
020057Spirit-of-Aust-02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/
polo

Post by polo »

Yes she did run in this condition. I have a photo of her running with even less outer skin.should be attached but computer keeps jumping so I don't know.
soa naked small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
polo

Post by polo »

Mr Mitchell, earlier in this line of discussion you mention the rear tailfin for BB and the british would not use one as it broke the rules. I attach a part copy of an article by Ken Norris in a book by Kevin Desmond. I hope kevin doesn't mind me posting[ I'm sure he won't as he does know me] this but just to placate him I attach a photo of a young Kevin playing with a piece of wood in the tent housing K8 during her 'trials' [and tribulations] at Coniston
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

Kevin lives not far from me, and we popped over to see him just before Christmas (we didn't go after Christmas as we were both cut off by snow!), and he doesn't look like that now!!! He's had a bit of a hard time recently, but if I may, I might forward that, should make him smile!!!
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
KW Mitchell

Post by KW Mitchell »

polo wrote:Mr Mitchell, earlier in this line of discussion you mention the rear tailfin for BB and the british would not use one as it broke the rules. I attach a part copy of an article by Ken Norris in a book by Kevin Desmond.
Yes, that article clearly illustrates KN's dilemma; compliance with the 'Rules', or, good aerodynamic design.

Ken Warby knew - with the help of aerodynamicist Tom Fink (who worked with John Stollery on the early wind-tunnel evaluation of K7) - that to bust DMC's record with K7 he needed to go with the latter and to hell with the former. 'Spirit of Australia' therefore had a tailplane (see an earlier thread: http://www.bluebirdproject.com/message/ ... rt=10#p669 ).

It is my considered opinion that if K7 had had a horizontal stabiliser mounted on the top of the fin during the 1966 mod's - a la Spirit of Aus -- - and assuming that the Orpheus had been fully on song, DMC would have got his record in the Dec' of that year - and with a good reserve of stability and hence safety.