Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

Mike Bull

Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

Post by Mike Bull » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:52 pm

The thread about John Cobb got me thinking...here we're mostly concerned with one Bluebird K7, and while some care about every last thing to do with speed records, some only care about Bluebird, or just a few select cars/boats.

For me it's Bluebird K7 (duh!) with only a passing interest in CN7, and then the two 'Thrust' endeavours of Richard Noble. (I adore 'Thrust 2' the most, as that was 'my' speed record vehicle when I was a kid, and I still love the sheer brutishness of the thing!)
Those apart I only have a very cursory interest in other speed record breakers/their machines. Cobb's Crusader I guess, and of course one Mr Warby. What are your interests?
Thrust_2_reheat.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Renegadenemo

Re: Other Speed Rcord Breakers Are Available!

Post by Renegadenemo » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:00 pm

SSC for me. The sheer audacity of it and the very Britishness of solving such a crazy set of engineering problems. Fabulous.

Oh, and I like that blue boat too.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes

Voltaire's apology when he wrote a long letter: "I didn't have time to make it shorter."

bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:04 pm

For me it has to be the blueboat closely followed by CN7. Even before i started school i watched Donalds attempts at new records, My dad used to say. "Hes trying again" and we would watch with baited breath and cheer as he notched another one up. I was 13 on his last attempt and still remember feeling gutted that we would never watch again that graceful machine skimming across the water. Little did i know that 40 odd years later i would be banging rivets into her to achieve as part of a team that event i thought we would never see again. Sadly my dad is no longer with us but if he were he would be first on the bus to see it. All of these other machines have done the job of taking records but to me the Bluebirds take the crown for grace and beauty. "British engineering old boy"
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:32 pm

Well, that's 'Rob's Dad' added to my 'remind me why I'm doing this again?' list! 8-)

(As for banging in rivets, I hope my new avatar meets with approval- it's 'Rosie The Riveter' from WW2!)

bluebirdsback

Re: Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

Post by bluebirdsback » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:58 pm

Hi Rosie im Rob and Single
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:04 am

Hey, Rob, best you run back you your good lady before she reads your last post and hope Rosie never gets her hands on your rivet. Wouldn't like to mess with her, methinks.

As for dads, mine is still here, an avid watcher of the project even though after a long career of chasing the next dollar he doesn't get why there's dust settling on my desk and I've abandoned the cut and thrust of the business world in favour of being showered in aluminium shavings for no pay most days. Yet the old bugger (68 today) will be first up there with the bragging rights when we take our tin boat back to Coniston. Likewise, I'm sure Rob's old fella is in good company and no further from the action than Donald, Leo, the Norris boys and all the rest of them who have to watch from the other side.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes

Voltaire's apology when he wrote a long letter: "I didn't have time to make it shorter."

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:33 am

Oh t'riffic, now I have the image of a horny little Rob trying to hump my avatar! :o

Here are some scans from some old prints (remember those?!) that I took years ago at the Coventry Motor Museum;

A fat lad and a very dusty Thrust 2. I arranged to have the car to myself for a bit one day before the place opened to the public. Bliss!
Thrust 2.jpg
T2's cockpit. Heaven knowns how the not-exactly-short Noble got in and out of here!
Thrust 2 cockpit.jpg
The somewhat battered rear end of SSC-
SSC.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rob565uk

Post by rob565uk » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:36 am

One record-breaker I really admire but who tends to get glossed over is Captain George E. T. Eyston. A highly decorated Soldier (MC as I recall) and outstanding Engineer with several patents to his name, he developed a number of record breaking cars in various classes, culminating in the mighty "Thunderbolt" mounting two Rolls Royce R engines of 37 litres each and weighing some 7 tons. He designed the car himself and it was built in a very short period of around 6 months. During the 1930s he and John Cobb provided a wonderful showcase of British design, engineering, skill and bravery as they battled it out at Bonneville - Eyston with Thunderbolt reaching an eventual peak of 357mph before being beaten by Cobb in the Railton Mobil Special. There is some wonderful and evocative video available on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp_LGPxblnM

Eyston went on to become a Director of BP and assisted John Cobb in the latter's tragic WWSR attempt with Crusader at Loch Ness in the 1950s. He was also a friend of the Campbell Family and is believed to have provided advice and guidance for Donald Campbell in his early record attempts.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it

malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:04 pm

Whilst I suppose I now have an interest in everything that goes fast on land or water, my interest was first sparked by the battle for the outright lsr between Art Arfons and Craig Breedlove. The 'Green Monster' cars were the brute force (some may say crude build) of LSR and I loved them.

My motorsport path changed course (literally from Brands Hatch and Silverstone to Millbrook and Elvington) once I could become involved with speed record braking in an active way. What was once the preserve of the well healed is now much more open to the working man - with (a great deal of) help from friends and contacts.

Just at the moment there has to be a preference towards a blue boat, but that is just a 'fill in' until a serious new-build comes along in the wsr.

Malcolm

ps do not forget that there are said to be eight absolute lsr contenders progressing their projects as I write.
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations

bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:50 pm

No need for jealousy Mike, if i had my own aviator thingy i wouldnt want yours. Can i have one please, can i eh, can i. I would feed it and take it for walks. Can i eh.