Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

mtskull

Re: Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

Post by mtskull »

Mike Bull wrote: It's the North American Eagle lot that scare me- no way is that thing ever safe for 700mph+?! :shock:
Of course it is safe for 700+mph. All they need to do is put the wings back on.... :lol:
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.

Terminator

Post by Terminator »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"

Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Hi All
A little bit late with this gents but some may not be aware that Owen Wynn Owen passed away I believe on the 14th March 2012. For those amongst us that are not aware he was the gentleman responsible in 1969 for unearthing John Godfrey Parry Thomas's record breaking car 'Babs' from the Pendine sands. A fine engineer who did a fantastic job of allowing this monster of an aero engined car to breath fire and live once more. Giving us all some idea of what is was like to hear.smell and view such a fine iconic vehicle from that period.

Our sincere condolences and sympathies go to his family.
Novie Dzinora
With the Greatest of respect
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"

Pullman99

Post by Pullman99 »

A great gentleman whose personal quest to recover and restore Babs has, I am sure, been an inspiration to many. Certainly, having read about Count Zborowski and Parry Thomas - especially in the late Bill Boddy's Profile Publication on the Chittys, I was fascinated to follow the work to recover the car back in 1969. I have seen Babs quite often since and was delighted that Mr Wyn Owen made it available for the LSR display I put together at Motor 100 at Silverstone. Having spoken with him several times, I always found him tremendously informative and helpful.

One of the great transport preservation pioneers has passed away but his tribute to the great Welsh engineer lives on. Commemorating the Welsh Formula One driver, Owen Wyn Owen was also awarded The Tom Pryce Trophy some years ago for his great work.
Ian Robinson
Bluebird K7 - the restoration project of the Century.

Daniel dehaemers

Post by Daniel dehaemers »

malcolm uk wrote:The Belgian is Lawrence Dahaemers and the team is the Dartagnan Offshore Racing Team.

At the Cholmondeley Pageant of Power dinner a 400 mph boat was being discussed which apparently has two jets.

Mike Newman (the Blind driver) is hoping to set records on land and water in one year. There is a P1 offshore powerboat available for him to use (probably Coniston '11) and the 1050bhp Keating Supercar.

Malcolm
The Belgian is Daniel Dehaemers ( Laurence is his daughter ) team's is correct, Dartagnan SP600 is the name of the boat under construction for challenge the WWSR.

malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk »

Daniel

As you are an SRC Club member I do not know why I typed Laurence, apologies for that mistake.

You're project was discussed when I met Colin Johns in Australia recently with his jet boat under construction.

Will you be coming to Coniston Water to run the Dartagnan SP600?

This forum covers a range of subjects surrounding Bluebird K7 and the conserveering work and it is good to have you with us as a current contender in the Outright WSR.
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations

malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk »

With another of my hats on, I have been fortunate to meet an "average bloke" who aims to achieve over 320 mph average speed through the water kilo. During a trip 'down under' I conducted the first media interview with the next contender for the World Water Speed Record - Colin Johns, the man behind "The Rush WSR". Colin used to race 2000hp alcohol buring supercharged V8 powered inboard engined hydroplanes before committing to the WSR.

At his workshop outside Sydney, New South Wales, I saw the freshly laid up lower hull waiting to come out of the mould. Alongside, waiting to be mounted was the jet turbine (he has two to choose from).

Yes guys and Girls in the BBP this is a 'plastic fantastic' or GRP construction vessel with afterburning jet thrust power. The boat will have a break away safety capsule and Colin expects to have it afloat in the middle of the next Oz summer.

Pictures and my 'World Exclusive' story will appear in the next issue of Fast FACTS, the members newsletter of the Speed Record Club.

My next trip should be to Belgium.
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations

Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

I watched the first episode of "No County For Old Men" with some amusement and that turned into excitement when I saw that their next stop was Carmarthenshire - as well as the obvious reason for interest, I have strong family ties to the area also.

I thought it a fore-gone conclusion that they would feature Pendine, and they did. I thought it a fore-gone conclusion also that they would, therefore, feature Tommy and 'BABS', and they DIDN'T!! :shock: Not even a mention!!

How on earth will this forgotten hero & truely incredible man receive the recognition he deserves when he can be overlooked so easily in a feature about the place where he smashed the Land Speed Record, went on to raise his own mark and where, ultimately, he met his tragic end?!
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...

malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk »

Should anyone need a speed 'fix' in the UK then the records event at Elvington near York on 13th & 14th May would be a good place to see 200 mph motorcycles. British records under ACU and 1 mile and 1.4 mile top speed runs by Straightliners. There might be cars but this has not been confirmed.
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations

Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

I had a funny feeling I wouldn't make it this year - still waiting to hear on the ruling :(
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...