Renegadenemo wrote:
30 seconds too late Mike, cheers polo you ar**
Have you just realised?

:lol:

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't

Renegadenemo

Re: What have forum members been up to?

Post by Renegadenemo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:36 am

For no obvious reason the little-uns decided that today Daddy must take them ice skating. No problem there, thought I. I used to play hockey back in the day, don't you know, so off to the outdoor rink in the middle of Newcastle we went where Daddy easily demonstrated that the old magic is still there.
Home we came, all hats and gloves and cold feet and fingers and fell into a heap on the sofa to watch Bug's Life (again for no obvious reason) on the telly.

Then Daddy tried to get up...

It's a good job Christmas is almost upon us because baby Jesus must've heard his name called once or twice as Daddy worked out that it's getting on for thirty years since last he did the moon walk on ice to impress teenage girls or blasted chipped ice into the air with his ferocious hockey stop. Bugger-me, do I ache now!
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

rob565uk

Post by rob565uk » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:37 am

Reminds me of the occasion when my son was around 12 years old and I was 42 - he asked me to take him ice-skating and like Bill, I had some existing skills. My Son took to it like the proverbial Penguin on an ice-floe but despite his newly learned precocious skills, I managed to maintain a semblance of paternal dignity until the last minutes.... he challenged me to a race around the circuit and I accepted. I was doing OK for a while but over-reached myself on a fast corner and went down full length on the ice, eventually coming to rest against the barrier. I think I pulled every muscle in my neck, shoulders and arms. Recovery took a while..... :oops:
Last edited by rob565uk on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't

Stuart Baker

Post by Stuart Baker » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:21 pm

It cuts both ways.

My 13 yr old lad used to play ice hockey too. He grew out of his skates, but then some young female "twirly bird" attracted him back into skating for a bit. Unfortunately, he discovered that badly maintained hire skates are lethal when attached to the feet of someone who expects more from the technology. Findings from this experiment are that kids physical injuries heal faster than ours, but their embarassment can take a little longer :!:

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:19 am

Have to say, the hire skates were sharp enough and fitted quite well but they weren't in the same league as my old Bauer hockey boots and the ice was awful. OK at speed but very lumpy when trying to stay with the little-un. We're off to the proper rink as soon as my battered skeleton sticks itself back together. Can't wait ;)

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

Stuart Baker

Post by Stuart Baker » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:05 pm

Renegadenemo wrote:We're off to the proper rink as soon as my battered skeleton sticks itself back together
Surely you don't mean Witley Bay?? Where the ice is a relic from the last ice age, and the building only stays upright because the woodworm are frozen solid...

wbjohn

Post by wbjohn » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:46 pm

Stuart Baker wrote: Surely you don't mean Witley Bay?? Where the ice is a relic from the last ice age, and the building only stays upright because the woodworm are frozen solid...
Yup, that's the one :D

Terminator

Post by Terminator » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:34 pm

I would pay to see old twinkle toes on the ice. Mike grab the camera and get around to Witley bay ice rink, would make for a great pic of the day. :D

Only ever went ice skating once years ago with my then girlfriend who insisted she had never skated before then proceeded to glide around the rink whilst yours truly was doing the Scooby Doo impression on ice. Then after a while I started to get the hang of it a little and my confidence grew prematurely. Then I over exceeded myself under cornering and in a desperate attempt to stay on my feet turned and made a grab with both hands for anything that may save me from hitting the ice hard. Unfortunately it was some lasses breasts I managed to grab hold off :shock: I apologized off course but she didn't seem to mind and we hit it off for a brief moment until the none skating girlfriend arrived on the seen pretty quickly :lol:
Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:58 am

Surely you don't mean Witley Bay?? Where the ice is a relic from the last ice age, and the building only stays upright because the woodworm are frozen solid...
You forgot to mention the antiquated bowling alleys frozen in time on the top floor with their wooden floors an inch thick of dust. The whole lot will fall through the rusted steelwork one day onto the ice and the older skaters will flee to the splintered wooden stands where once they hid and snogged girls during the darkened, Friday evening 'discos'. Ahhh... happy days.

Stuart Baker

Post by Stuart Baker » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:45 pm

Renegadenemo wrote:You forgot to mention the antiquated bowling alleys frozen in time on the top floor with their wooden floors an inch thick of dust. The whole lot will fall through the rusted steelwork one day onto the ice and the older skaters will flee to the splintered wooden stands where once they hid and snogged girls during the darkened, Friday evening 'discos'. Ahhh... happy days.
So there's the difference. My favourite memory from there dates from when I was 39, not 13! My daughter was asked to "guest" for their U10 team because they didn't have enough players (always a bit embarrassing for the home team). She came away absoluetly thrilled because they made such a fuss of her and gave her a medal. Fantastic people.

I was talking to one of the guys at work who is a hockey player about the rink today and he described it as like skating on a ploughed field.

Seems like the place makes an impression on everyone!

S