Re: Upcoming Elections

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

Apposite quote, Rob.

Paraphrasing Hegel: "History teaches us only that history teaches us nothing"

Nigel
Terminator

Re: What have forum members been up to?

Post by Terminator »

Just to say a big thank you to the Jedi of welders Mr. Bill Smith himself whom at the weekend during his tea break did weld back together one Subaru Exhaust system for Mr. Novie Dzinora. Extremely grateful you old lunatic and got me out of trouble. Exhaust is good to go for several years more now that Jedi Smith has applied the liquid glue.
And no down time was lost on K7 during the welding of this exhaust :D
Cheers old boy ;)
Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Novie, you are surely mistaken as no one in their right-mind welds exhausts. I can only think I was conned into thinking it was just another piece of tin boat on one of those days when I never came out from under my welding screen.

Tea break, did you say? :lol:

Whatever happened, you are more than welcome, old friend.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler
quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

Someone gave me a book today as a present. Odd, because it was one of my own books - and even odder, because I'd given this book to Raymond Baxter one evening in 1980. My signature and a short dedication are still on the inside.

You don't expect to see something like that again, so long after you have given it away, and no-one but me is left from that evening 35 years ago. There were four of us in a BBC Radio studio, Raymond reminiscing on his career as a pilot and broadcaster.

Ghost from the past, this old book has come a-haunting, skulking in a corner of the office, dressed in a dusty, dog-eared jacket.

Nigel
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Renegadenemo wrote:Novie, you are surely mistaken as no one in their right-mind welds exhausts. I can only think I was conned into thinking it was just another piece of tin boat on one of those days when I never came out from under my welding screen.

Tea break, did you say? :lol:

Whatever happened, you are more than welcome, old friend.
Just a quick update on the exhaust front after Mr. Smith applied the magic glue the other day. I went along to the local garage to get the old Subaru an M.O.T certificate and duly dropped her off. "Come back in a couple of hrs" I was told and left the Subaru in there care. As instructed I return confident they wouldn't find anything that would result in a failed test but as I rounded the garage door I viewed three mechanics beneath my car staring and pointing at the underside. :shock: Oh God I thought! Have they found something that I have overlooked. Nervously I approached and they all seem to be looking at the area of the exhaust repair. "What's the matter has it passed the M.O.T" I asked? "Whats the matter" came the reply "who has done this welding for you" The very same guy who is welding Bluebird K7 Mr. Bill Smith back together" I replied firmly. "Well we have never seen such a brilliant welding job on an exhaust usually they come in looking like Pigeon droppings /splatter hoping to get it though an M.O.T but this is an exceptionally good piece of welding that's good to go. :D Aye I said it took me 3hrs to prep it before Mr. Smith was happy to weld it. "And what a cracking job he has done of it they replied".

Then came the dreaded question "So Whens Bluebird gonna be finished and back then"? :roll: That 'll cost you a tenner I said for asking that question and he promptly knocked me a tenner of my test fee. Scooby's good to go.
Excellent result :D
Cheers once again Mr. Smith you old lunatic ;)
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

It's the three hours of prep-work that makes the difference. The hot metal glue is the easy part after sending the customer back three times with a wire brush. :lol:

Glad it all worked out, though. And if you got a tenner off the bill, so much to the good.

The welding on the big tin machine is all but finished now apart from some work to do on the outer floors when the time comes so I'd best find something else to glue together. Broken mountain bikes and alloy engine casings are a favourite. Cooling fins on cylinder heads, alloy wheels, bits of vintage and irreplaceable this and that - had a beautiful alloy fuel tank from an old Ducati through the door a week or two ago. I'm sure someone will keep me busy.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler
Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

Renegadenemo wrote:...Cooling fins on cylinder heads...
It looks like the head and barrels from my old CBX could be heading north then! :D
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...
Techteam

Post by Techteam »

Renegadenemo wrote:I'm sure someone will keep me busy.
My Albatross Continental needs a repair above the P Bracket, the old dissimilar metals chestnut and a large inside out dent shrinking. Should take you all of 5 minutes :lol:
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

My Albatross Continental needs a repair above the P Bracket, the old dissimilar metals chestnut and a large inside out dent shrinking. Should take you all of 5 minutes :lol:
Oooh! shrinking. That is to me what wires are to Checkie...

And, funnily enough, I saw an old CBX only yesterday. Many plenty fins on one of those!

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Been filming all day for Discovery Channel. An upcoming series to air at the end of the year about engines and powerful machines. Looks like it's going to be an exciting one.