What have forum members been up to?

quicksilver-wsr

Re: What have forum members been up to?

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

Facebook's not all-good or all-bad. It's just that it's not for everybody.

Personally, I can't think of enough good reasons to use it to outweigh the negatives I feel about it.

N.
rob565uk

What have forum members been up to?

Post by rob565uk »

I am having to suspend disbelief over the unfolding Greek debacle.

"Hey Mortgage Lender what gives? This morning my family voted 60-40 to stop making mortgage payments but you still haven't restructured our debt"

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
quicksilver-wsr

Yes - a bit of a worry, isn't it. Having gone bankrupt in the last recession after decades of paying my way, I don't fancy the idea of the Greeks leading us into a re-run :?

I'm pro-Europe - always have been - but what can you do when it gets to a mess like this? Something's got to give, as there's no way the situation can continue as it is.

If the Eurozone does take a nose-dive, maybe Britain will ride the storm better this time around. Hope so.

Nigel
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

That's about as far off topic as we can get... For my part I've been burying my dog today. Sixteen years old and thoroughly worn out, the vet did him a mercy earlier and now I've broken my other hand digging a hole in clay and rocks that may as well have been solid granite.
Hardly worth a mention except that many moons ago I was offered a pup by an old boy in Coniston. The dog had been bred as working stock but he was thrown out of sheepdog school for preferring to chase sticks to sheep. But I didn't want him so I said no.
Three years later I was speaking to the RSPCA at Burton in the South Lakes about a rescue dog, a collie, so I popped down there for a look-see and soon found out that he'd been born in Coniston and had fallen into the hands of the rescue people through unfortunate circumstances. It was the same dog so you can guess the rest...
Turned out he was a bit of a character in the village and everyone knew him. On the odd occasion we took him back he went crackers, presumably on scenting the air of his birthplace. He had a great life, never ailed a thing and is now pushing up a new rose bush in the garden.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler
quicksilver-wsr

Sorry to hear that, mate. Losing a dog is like losing a person.

Nigel
Richie

Post by Richie »

Sorry buddy... Had you have said, I could have brought my spade along and provided a hand.

I thought looking at him tuther day he was not long for this world, you guys gave him a good home and a good life which I am sure he is thankful for !

Now can I palm one of my mentalist dogs off on you ?
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

Renegadenemo wrote:
That's about as far off topic as we can get... .
Well, you know me, never following convention :-)

Seriously, I am sorry to hear about your dog. I agree with Nigel - they become a member of the Family, a person in their own right - but with four legs instead of two.

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
sbt

Post by sbt »

I know a little bit about how you feel. I spent a good part of the Saturday before last burying my Cat who died suddenly in her sleep, after a long decline due to age. She used to sidle up and provide a comforting paw when I was upset. Now its sort of a recursive process of missing that unbidden paw.

Not sure whether it was a good or bad decision to bury her in the wood beside my daily route to and from work.

Its a bugger when they go.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Thanks, all. The old dog had had well and truly had his day and it was a relief to see the tension go out of his ruined body and his breathing cease as the vet pushed the plunger home. The kids have now set their hearts on a long-haired, girl collie pup to be called Meg, and so the circle of life continues.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler
conistoncollie

Post by conistoncollie »

Sorry to hear about your collie. Never easy losing a much loved family pet.
Like you I have a border collie from working stock although he's better at digging holes in my lawn than he is herding stock.
People ask me if he works, I tell them he works me. He has me well trained - one dog and his man as my neighbours call us. Wouldn't be without him.
I am sure the new pup will bring great pleasure.