klingon

Re: What did you do at the weekend?

Post by klingon » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:19 pm

Aye but I speak Klingon! :lol:
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"

Terminator

Post by Terminator » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:01 am

I'm Back :D Having just returned from a long weekend break in Sunny York. Seriously it reached minus 14 degrees one morning. I came out to see the old Subaru Impreza looking like a Block of Ice :shock: We had a really nice time regardless of the temperatures firstly stopping of on route to York on the Friday evening for a lovely meal at a certain ladies abode and some wonderful film shows by an up and coming film producer :) We visited The Cold war bunker, The train Museum and got to see The Flying Scotsman in its stripped down state which was not that unusual really I had to smile. Well worth visiting theses two attractions. As is York Minster however because of Charlies inconsiderate timing we could not get in until gone 14.30hrs when he had gone! apparently he had been addressing the relatives of the war heroes in the minster and all was shut off except for those invited. We got in later although it delayed our plans and left later than we had intended. A pointer for anybody going to york. Leave your car at your hotel or Apartment in our case and walk in or take a taxi as on the last day we made the mistake of taking the car into town and ended up paying £9 for five hrs parking :o
I was furious! Did the Ghost walk evening and found the entertainment value was well worth the fee. At one point the snow was turned yellow by some of our female companions when he suddenly shocked everybody in the group and Greg ended up in my arms :lol: All in all a great weekend and i would highly recommend Betty's Tea rooms for food well worth the wait and cost.

Novie
Bugger I'm late for work :shock:
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"

tas

Post by tas » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:27 pm

Mike Bull wrote:We had a marvellous day trip to a sunny York earlier this year and plan to return- a fantastic city, with so much to see. 8-)
Agreed, I've visited York a few times and always found the history fascinating and found it a nice place to look at too.
"He who goes to bed with an itchy bum, wakes up with a smelly finger"

Andrew453

Post by Andrew453 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:03 am

Yes, York is great. Also really enjoyed a couple of recent trips to Bath. Lots to see and do, plenty of retail therapy for 'er indoors, good restaurants and probably the best pub in the world - the Star Inn on Vineyards. The Draught Bass off the wood there is just the best. They will sell you it by the pint if you insist, but much prefer selling you a four pint jug! Something to do with 'elfnsafety, apparently. The Raven is pretty good too - I can recommend their pies.
Oh yeah, and I think there's some Roman stuff there too...

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:47 pm

Christmas is coming the goose is getting fat, or rather, the turkeys. So John and I set about that good old, manly pursuit of putting fresh food on the tables of our womenfolk. It's a fun afternoon out for all the family involving a selection of live turkeys, a meat cleaver and blood and feathers all over the place. The kids loved it!

First you choose your turkey...
Choose a Turkey (resized).jpg
Then... swish goes the cleaver and off with its head.
Chop! (resized).jpg
You have to wait a while after that for it to stop getting upset. They tend to get a bit miffed and charge around the garden spurting blood and scattering the kids.
Kids (resized).jpg
But it only lasts a minute or so then you can collect them from under whatever bush they crashed into.
Chop a Turkey (resized).jpg
Next you pull out all the feathers and wibbly bits from inside. The feathers don't do too well in the oven and the wibbly bits taste unpleasant. Apart from the liver, that is, which makes a delicious addition to the stuffing.
Pluck (resized).jpg
Then, amazing as it may seem, you're left with something that looks vaguely like you bought it at the supermarket. How astonishing is that!
Turkey (resized).jpg
All that remains is to take it into the warmth to finish off the cleaning then you stuff it into an old pillowcase and hang it in the garage for a few days so the meat can soften.
Clean a Turkey (resized).jpg
There you are... Christmas dinner sorted.

That ought to get rid of any latent vegetarians.

PS - photography by Charlotte - thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

wbjohn

Post by wbjohn » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:14 pm

Must say as usual, a splendid afternoon at the Smiths.
Just been promted by Charlotte to point out photography by Charlotte :-)

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:52 pm

Oops! Sorry Charlotte - have amended the post accordingly.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:27 pm

Whilst I was in Norfolk this weekend - the home County of Turkey products - I was not involved in decapitation ...... but the record attempt I was invited to see could well see blood on the ground.

Created over a pint of beer apparently, I met the builder and the rider of an all wooden bicycle (no metal involved at all lads/lasses so no welding skills needed) buillt in a small workshop in the Broads area of East Anglia. Should there be any faults with the wood adhesive the rider could be eating tarmac or concrete during the record runs.

Should you be interested in an alternative form of record breaking, take a look at their website on http://www.splinterbike.co.uk

Malcolm
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations

mtskull

Post by mtskull » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:35 pm

Well, we've had farms where you pick your own strawberries for years, so I guess "Decapitate your own turkeys" is a logical progression.....
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:48 am

Well, we've had farms where you pick your own strawberries for years, so I guess "Decapitate your own turkeys" is a logical progression.....
John and I did plan our turkey adventure back in May when the eggs arrived from the farm so if anyone would like to sign up for next year's cull best let us know in plenty of time. It can be arranged...