What have forum members been up to?

klingon

Re: What did you do at the weekend?

Post by klingon »

yeah with a 70+ pilot at the controls as far as I believe!-did a superb job of bringing her down again after a "glitch" with the throttle controls-great throw away line -"If I couldn't have got her back in I suppose I would have had to commit to flight and bring her back round again!-ubercool 8-) !
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Thanks for a great set of pics, Ian. I especially liked the Pratt & Whitney one. I remember taking a flight to LAX some years ago on what had to be the last passenger carrying 707 and it had those stickers on the engine nacelles outside my window. Amazing how quickly time slips through your fingers...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Pullman99

Post by Pullman99 »

Finally caught up with the Jim Clark 1965 Indianapolis 500 winning Lotus 38 at the Goodwood Festival of Speed. This is 38/1 and I was delighted to meet some of the car's restorers and representatives of The Henry Ford Museum to whom it is being returned immediataly after the FOS. Spoke with Clive Chapman too and it looks as if there may be a DVD on the restoration to follow soon. The intention is to exercise the car occasionally and it will be demonstrated at Indianpolis later this year with the 2010 winner - and another Scot - Dario Franchitti. On the Saturday morning, the Lotus was driven by Jimmy's friend and rival Sir Jackie Stewart who was clearly delighted and moved by the whole experience. Well done to all concerned.

Truly another great British motorsport icon and it's only a pity that no plans were formulated to exhibit the car in the UK (apart from Goodwood) such as the NMM.

Nice to meet up with Andy Green and Richard Noble on the Bloodhound SSC stand. Both were working very hard and Andy was hosting a visit by the Chinese Ambassador whilst I was there. Project looks to be making great progress with a very interesting and hectic two years ahead.

Don't know who this bloke was though! :lol:

Ian Robinson
Bluebird K7 - the restoration project of the Century.
bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

Look on the bright side Mike. You could have had big brother on 4 and cricket on 2 at the same time.
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

Mike Bull wrote:True!

...at least there's always a leader in F1! :lol:
True indeed, even if your team thinks its the other bloke who should be the leader! :roll: Having said that incredible to believe that Mark won considering his accident only 2 weeks ago. Chris
kneeslider

Post by kneeslider »

A bit of a late post I know, but last weekend, I completed my solo qualifying cross country flight, as part of my Private Pilot's Licence training!

Enstone to Cambridge, Cambridge to Leicester, and then back to Enstone. 154nm in all.

On the way into Cambridge, Cambridge Tower frequency asked if I could truncate my downwind leg so that a C130 Hercules could get in after me on a 5 mile final. Needless to say that I didn't hang around vacating the runway.

Flight test soon, so the expensive bit of paper should be mine!
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

You fixed wing or rotary?

kneeslider

Post by kneeslider »

Fixed wing for me. For some reason, while I can see the point of Helicopters, they just don't do it for me. I would love to have a go at mastering the coordination required to fly one though. It's taken ages to get this far, I started learning to fly way back in 2001 and went solo for the first time in September 2002, but life kept on getting in the way of finishing off.

I guess that it's just a sort of logical progression of new things to master, after motorbikes & cars, what's next? After building several cars and bikes, maybe a kitplane is next?

I know that you have dabbled in rotary wing stuff Bill, would love to hear more about that.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I know that you have dabbled in rotary wing stuff Bill, would love to hear more about that.
I could tell you some crazy stories - like the day four completely drunk pilots got lost in the Lakes then had to land to be sick. Or the day we chased my TVR below treetop height at 150 knots, or the day we got caught in fog with our John navigating from the back seat using an AA book of the road. Oh yes... did we have fun!

Matt Smith

What did you do at the weekend?

Post by Matt Smith »

Scuba diving in Lake Coniston. :D