What have forum members been up to?

Renegadenemo

Re: What did you do at the weekend?

Post by Renegadenemo »

Scuba diving in Lake Coniston.
Ugh! why?
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Matt Smith

What did you do at the weekend?

Post by Matt Smith »

Renegadenemo wrote:Ugh! why?
I thrive on challenges!
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I thrive on challenges!
Hmmm. Sounds more like masochism to me. It certainly was when we did it!

Our dives weren't particularly challenging from a technical point of view. Short bottom times on simple mixes in 40mfw. Our real enemy that winter was the intense cold as we worked from October 2000 through to May 2001 cleaning out the crash site. We often had to put the 'breathers in the cars with the heaters going to defrost the counterlungs and our boat's cooling system froze a time or two too. By the time we went back in 07 for the crumbs we did everything with the ROV and it was rare that anyone got wet but we never forgot. That was an awful winter.

kneeslider

Post by kneeslider »

Completed my General Flight Test today. After a lot of aggro, and a long, long time since I first took to the air. A couple of hours aloft with an examiner today to check that all of my training worked, and hadn't gone in one ear and out the other. Navigational exercise, instrument flying, position fixes, diversions, stalls and steep turns, then finally rounded off with a few circuits with the aeroplane in different configurations.

Just the dreaded paperwork to fill in, bung the CAA a few quid, and I am qualified!
Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith »

Renegadenemo wrote:Hmmm. Sounds more like masochism to me. It certainly was when we did it!.......
The lake is a great open water place to practice line laying skills in the dark and murk for those of us whom cave dive!
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

The lake is a great open water place to practice line laying skills in the dark and murk for those of us whom cave dive!
Ahhh - never thought of that. Most of my diving mates were into caves back in the day but, even though I tried it a few times, I could never get used to there being no brass in there. Rocks at the top, rocks at the bottom and rocks in the middle. Did a few cave pushes in Menorca but it never took hold of me - bit like golf and football I s'pose. Laid plenty of lines through shipwrecks though.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Just the dreaded paperwork to fill in, bung the CAA a few quid, and I am qualified!
Marvellous! Well done. Did mine at Gamston - remember it like it was yesterday! Congratulations.

kneeslider

Post by kneeslider »

Cheers for the plaudits Bill, I guess that now the challenge to keep current starts. I am lucky in that I did the majority of my training with mates who are proper commerical pilots, so I did a lot of instrument flying (if not in actual IMC) and going in and out of a whole variety of different airfields/airports from 600m farm strips up to Cambridge airport, the home of Marshall Aerospace.

I was up with my instructor mate a few weeks ago in the right seat of a Piper Cheyenne (pressurised twin turboprop) in some pretty foul weather, and it was great to see how much harder 'proper' pilots have to work, in that sort of environment with a more complex aeroplane than I am used to. In fact, it put me in mind of the health and safety zealots who would surely have such things banned given half the chance.

It is amazing what humans can accomplish with the correct level of training, and experience to reduce risk to a manageable level. Something the H&S brigade seem incapable of comprehending. Once we accept their agenda, then the whole world becomes the poorer.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I've not done any serious fixed-wing stuff but I was fortunate enough to once spend a couple of hours strapped into the FO's seat of a real, live 747 sim at Bournemouth while various pilots flew difficult scenarios. I was probably the worst copilot they ever had the misfortune to fly with because I didn't have a clue and when tasked with landing the plane one time I slammed it into the runway because a 74 captain sits a smidge higher up than any helicopter pilot...
I was, however, fortunate enough to have to hang on through near collisions, wind-shear, engine failures and, often, a combination of all of the above and the professionalism displayed was humbling.
As I struggled to work out which suddenly rattling engine to retard the thrust lever on I'd usually find the captain had run out of patience in the second and a half since it went off with a bang and taken the job out of my hands. No place for H&S fools up there!
Keep at the flying and if you have half as much fun in the air as we did you'll have a great time. You should ask Alain or John about our adventures - not me. They're both reading this...

lsrdatabase

Post by lsrdatabase »

Hi All,

I thought I would change the subject somewhat, and revive this theme. Hopefully more posts will follow.

We, my wife and I, went to Bristol to see the FULL SIZE Bloodhound SSC Show Car. This was on show recently at the Farnborough Air Show, and if you haven't seen it yet, you really are missing out. It is absolutely Beautiful!

I've added a couple of photographs (more on my site at http://www.rainbowcoloured.co.uk I also had a go on the BH 'Driving Experience'. This is astoundingly realistic!

Would you believe it? The wheel bearings came straight off the shelf.

Regards to All, Fred

'I'm just that bloke, who won't go away!'
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by lsrdatabase on Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.