What have forum members been up to?

MJB

Re: What have forum members been up to?

Post by MJB » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:11 am

Since I realised that your workshop is in North Shields, I've been reminiscing about a cracking 6 months I spent there in 1992 whilst working on commissioning two rigs being built in the Hadrian Yard, so I thought I would Google to see how things have changed. Stayed in the Highpoint Hotel in Whitley-bay which has now been pulled down. Spent Sunday lunchtimes at the Ship in the Hole which now appears to be an archaeological sight (hope those archaeologists wear some good gloves because they can catch some serious stuff from what went on in that pub if they're not careful !!) and Friday dinner was at Christian's down on the quay, the best fish & chips you will ever find; about 2 quid for cod chips, bread & butter and a mug of tea. I believe that this chippy is still going albeit under another name 'Oceans'.

Question for the Geordie boys, I remember a pub near to the yard which had a photo of every ship built by Swan Hunter hanging up around the walls in the bar and spent many an hour supping ale and looking at the photos and thinking how the bloody hell could an industry that produced all that dissapear. Would that pub have been what is now the Hadrian lodge Hotel and if it is, does it still have the pictures adorning the walls?

Martin

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:54 pm

No idea re the Hadrian Lodge Hotel, despite driving past it at least a dozen times a week; Bill's bound to know which pub you mean though.

Ocean's chippy in North Shields was closed for a lot of last year following a fire, but is open again now I think- that and the Waterfront down there do a nice fish and chips. Hadrian Yard was in the news last week-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-38573784

Richie

Post by Richie » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:47 pm

high point has been bulldozed to the ground..... its just around the point from Browns Bay.
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:05 pm

Had some debaucherous nights in the Ship in the Hole! The place never closed.
The Hadrian Lodge Hotel was once the canteen for North East Marine and the pub with all the pic's of Swans' ships was most likely the Turbinia, though one or two other pubs had similar pic's at the time. As for where the industry went - the unions killed it off with strike after strike and ridiculous working practices - nine men to fit a toilet seat, etc. So now NEM's machinery is in Holland and Swans' cranes are in India.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes

Voltaire's apology when he wrote a long letter: "I didn't have time to make it shorter."

MJB

Post by MJB » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:57 pm

Debaucherous sounds about right for the Ship In The Hole; glad I didn't forget that part of my stay although the Turbinia doesn't ring a bell.

Glad to see from the link Mike sent that the yard could get going again and without any toilets that need seats fitting on those wind thingys, hopefully it will have a good future.

Thanks for the updates.

Martin

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:34 pm

Turbinia doesn't ring a bell.
The Anson was similarly decorated back then, but then many were so it might've been one I didn't get into - can't have been many, though, as I was a native of Wallsend in that era and the Ship in The Hole was literally at the end of my street.

Voltaire's apology when he wrote a long letter: "I didn't have time to make it shorter."

Richie

Post by Richie » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:57 pm

The Fosse ?

MJB

Post by MJB » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:59 pm

I see I've got you thinking about that one !

I remember that we would walk out of one of the gates from the Hadrian yard to the pub, have a pint and a sandwich or something and then back to the yard and could just about do that in the lunch hour, that's why I thought it might have been where the Hadrian Lodge Hotel is now because on Google that looks like it might not be too far away. I guess it will remain for me one of life's great mysteries !!

Martin

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:21 am

I remember that we would walk out of one of the gates from the Hadrian yard to the pub, have a pint and a sandwich or something and then back to the yard and could just about do that in the lunch hour, that's why I thought it might have been where the Hadrian Lodge Hotel is now because on Google that looks like it might not be too far away. I guess it will remain for me one of life's great mysteries !!
If it was the Hadrian Yard I have a fair idea... will swing by tomorrow and remind myself what the place is called. It's closed down and all buttoned up now but it's till standing.

Richie

Post by Richie » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:20 am

Yeah I know the one now, it stands alone, and is still there now.

You had the "Dock" down by O'briens yard,

Or the one I am thinking of is on Gainers Terrace "The Ship Inn" but you have that one covered... there are none left nearby (within a quick walk) other than the Bogey Chain down on Ropery Lane or the Albion at the bottom of Ropery lane ?

if its further towards the tyne tunnel then it would be the Duke of Wellington which is now a Sambuca.