What have forum members been up to?

Richie

Re: What have forum members been up to?

Post by Richie »

Bill, don’t forget I need to systems check the Hyd before the engine goes in, need to run it up and check for leaks before I wirelock it all to within an inch of its life :D
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Bill, don’t forget I need to systems check the Hyd before the engine goes in, need to run it up and check for leaks before I wirelock it all to within an inch of its life :D
Not forgotten - need to get the offboard hyd pump rig out and dust it off then ask John to decipher it's thousand-million menus to run the drive motor!
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Richie

Post by Richie »

I would sooner shave my own eyeball than try to decipher that nonesense again. The programmer was clearly narc’d out of his gord when he wrote the programme !
Last edited by Richie on Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

In the meantime, another typical day in the life of the BBP today. We ordered captive nuts for the transom. All those were absolutely mint but they're the same size as those in the main spar boxes, some of which were knackered so, guess what... Yes, when the spar boxes were rebuilt (couldn't build the transom with the rollover jig in place) all the good captives went in there so there's not enough for the transom. 3/8th BSF captives take a little rooting out so we did that and picked up a few from the old E of the Bay.

Then we need a shedload of rivets for the transom. Again, we couldn't install many of them because the jig was in the way so we had a good count-up today, realised that we had many of those needed in stock already then blagged what we didn't have from Stanley - they don't half look after us!

We're also fitting a 2000gph bilge pump and this is where the world is a silly place because, though 2000gph sounds like waaay loads, do a quick bit of calculating and you'll find that an inch diameter hole in the bottom will outpace the pump. Add to this that K7 is a big, heavy, metal box stuffed with heavy lumps of metal and it becomes clear that a spoonful of water in the wrong place and she'll sink like a brick.
But don't put a super duper bilge pump in there and she does sink there's then the task of proving that it would have made no difference in the first place. We don't foresee an inch diameter hole. It's either going to be a split from end to end or nothing at all. But doubtless some water will sneaky in over the top and we'll need to throw that back out when we get ashore.
Added to the pump job is how to get the water to the outside without drilling holes or making irreversible mod's - we have that in hand - and getting all the widgety bits to make the installation, pipes, weldable unions, hose clips, all that stuff.

Tomorrow we box up the canopy frame to ship to the CAD office to start creating the surface for vac-forming then order some more stuff then Weds we're back on the tools to finish the transom and start getting some paint on there ahead of the rudder, water brake and stabilising fin going on.

XL391

Post by XL391 »

Morning kids,

I’m Will. I’ve followed the Bluebird story since her recovery in 2001, what a superb job you’re doing!

I thought I’d introduce myself here as I have a few restoration projects of my own on the go, not as exciting or prestigious as your project but some thing very close to my heart.

I’m restoring my Dad’s old Sunbeam Tiger at the minute. Although I can do bits of welding/fabrication, I s**t out of doing the bodywork myself on this but I am doing everything else. A long road ahead with this.

I also bought last year (much to the better half’s disdain) this little one owner Triumph 1300. Needs a bit of welding but nothing compared to the Tiger.

I’m currently replacing the wishbone bushes on my Jag at the minute, differential has to come out after this for a rebuild.

Plenty on the go! The other half also mentioned some house stuff to do as well I seem to recall...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Hi Will,

Welcome to the forum. Spent many a happy year restoring rusty old cars in my youth so know how that goes. The missus has long since given up asking me to do house stuff but she'll have my life after this, I'm sure!

And so to business... For the avoidance of doubt - sadly we had to treat yet another syphilitic infection of social media today as the old truism that a lie will be halfway around the world before the truth got its trousers on said we'd be live on the One Show tonight. Wrong.

Had anyone interested in this bothered to pick up the telephone to speak to us we'd have explained that, yes, we were filming with the One Show today but as a pre-record for a short feature to be broadcast sometime in the future and we have no idea when. But we'll tell you when we do.

So, if any of you Twittergramming Facebollockers wants to steal the advantage in future and get the facts straight ahead of the herd, give us a call.

Healey nut

Post by Healey nut »

Shes almost done . This is my second Healey restoration . The bumpers are actually on the car now as well .
A 62 Tri-Carb with original factory hard top is next .
8C0589ED-759E-49DA-9E9D-B8FF21F0CD38.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thats not an oil leak , its my patent pending Old British Sports Car rustproofing system . :mrgreen:
StoneRoad

Post by StoneRoad »

Oh, I've been up to all sorts over the last few [s]weeks, months,[/s] ok make it years !

By Profession I'm a Librarian (working in industry - for consulting engineers, mainly)
but by inclination I'm a restorer - mainly working in timber (and painting the results).
That can be working on boats, railway carriages, bits for road steam vehicles ... and we did a couple of little things for Bluebird.

Most recently finished project was a bit basic - a 10ton coal waggon, belonging to Bowes Railway that has been almost destroyed in an arson attack.
In contrast, the current project is re-creating a passenger brake - with modifications - for the Knotty Coach Trust. We also have a First Class carriage awaiting funding.
About to arrive is a grounded carriage body that spent many years as a chapel ...

If you want a link to some images, that can be provided !
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

StoneRoad wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:16 pm About to arrive is a grounded carriage body that spent many years as a chapel ...

If you want a link to some images, that can be provided !
Yes please!
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

You've never seen wood-butchery like these guys do it. It's staggering. I saw the burned out coal wagon for real when it came in and it was a mess of charred timber and blackened steel. Would like to see how it turned out.