Opinion Poll- Rebuild or Conserve?

Bluebird's original Bloctube HP Fuel control box; what to do?

Rebuild
93%
Conserve
7%

Total votes: 57

Mike Bull

Re: Opinion Poll- Rebuild or Conserve?

Post by Mike Bull » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:57 am

Okay, re. the votes- there is only one poll vote allowed per registered member. So to cite Novie's example, Fred has placed his own vote to 'conserve', and cannot click again to make another vote on anyone else's behalf. Likewise Novie if you've already placed your own 'Rebuild' vote, then you can't vote again for Paul.

I think some confusion has arisen from people using the term 'vote' as in 'you've got my vote!', rather than it meaning the actual poll. We have had a couple more verbal 'conserve' opinions- Paul H, Corporal Evans etc- and though not reflected in the actual poll voting, they have been noted.

And about the other stuff, Novie, you have a huge heart and and you wear it proudly on a massive sleeve; we all love you for it mate, and you must never stop. ;)

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:59 am

I'll second that. Novie, you know we love you... Don't ever let our irreverent attitudes get to you. Jut tell us our fabrication is rough!
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

Graham Milne

Post by Graham Milne » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:01 pm

Guys, I've chosen rebuild, just to let you know. Personally, I'll be satisfied with whatever you choose to do though. Keep up the good work and don't let the barstewards get you down.

I apologise if this comes up as my first post, but I've had to re-register not so long ago due to me somehow being deleted from your list of merry men! (I think you had computer issues a while back). Nevertheless, I've followed this for a couple of years now, and you are all to blame for me making the quite regular long-weekend jaunt from North East Scotland to Coniston to sample the great Bluebird bitter. All the best to all.
Looks like one of those new 'Japanese' sportscars..............

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:59 pm

Hi Graham. Thanks for your vote, and my apologies for your previous account being deleted- I had to delete literally thousands of fake accounts when we were under attack from spammers, and it was inevitable that the odd genuine user would get caught up.

StuartB

Post by StuartB » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:47 pm

Not posted for a while although I do regularly check in and read the posts.....
Novie is quite correct in the fact that he said I thought the conservation route was the one for this piece a decision I still standby. The reasons are highlighted in a couple of other posts. There is a massive amount of original fabric which has rightfully gone back into the boat. The control at present is set in the position it landed on the bottom of Coniston in in 1967, as far as we are aware its never moved again since (this may or may not have been where the great man set it on the return run). So lets preserve it as original fabric. As Bill has said it will end up buried deep in the cockpit, it will be out of view to the majority of visitors. The Original engine was beyond saving and so far I have'nt heard anyone complain about the displaying of it in the Ruskin. It therefore seems to me to be no less acceptable to conserve fuel cock and replace it with a fully functioning copy which appears the same.
All the Best
Stuart.

Terminator

Post by Terminator » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:13 am

Hi Bill /Mike
I don't really get the reasoning to ask for Grannies opinion then not allow their vote especially Paul who is part of the team. Why ask then ? Doesn't matter got other probs to worry about at this time!! Re other stuff no worries. Been out all day with fire brigade pumping out cellars etc till 1800hrs tonight then had to start cleaning up the four foot of water that had managed to find its way into our own cellar which has trashed loads of stock!!!! Julie in tears at one point!! Getting to old for this damp wet stuff :lol: A MASSIVE Tree described as forty feet in length came down the beck at Black Bull and hit the bridge at one point today. God it made a right bang thought it was going to take the bridge out! :o Luckily it withstood the impact and continued down the beck to the lake!!! Heading to bed and bleeper will probably go at any moment!! Cats and dogs still outside!! Fine and settled my A-se :roll:

Novie
I'll Be Back
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"

Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:24 am

Could be worse you could be living in Cockermouth :shock:
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:02 am

The Original engine was beyond saving and so far I have'nt heard anyone complain about the displaying of it in the Ruskin. It therefore seems to me to be no less acceptable to conserve fuel cock and replace it with a fully functioning copy which appears the same.
But the engine was totally knackered- the control box could be fixed and working within a few hours.

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:03 am

then not allow their vote especially Paul who is part of the team.
Novie- again, anyone can place a vote in the poll, they just need to be a registered member of the forum to do so.

klingon

Post by klingon » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:18 pm

Mike Bull wrote:
The Original engine was beyond saving and so far I have'nt heard anyone complain about the displaying of it in the Ruskin. It therefore seems to me to be no less acceptable to conserve fuel cock and replace it with a fully functioning copy which appears the same.
But the engine was totally knackered- the control box could be fixed and working within a few hours.
Oh dear Mike!-now you of all people should know that as far as the magicians in the workshop are concerned the phrase "totally knackered" is cobblers!-although in the engines case half dissolved and corroded to bits may have raised an eyebrow or two-but I reckon if it had been totally impossible to source a replacement the original would have been restored to working condition albeit slowly and Very expensively with a lot of LOF-so the matter of a wee throttle lever in the grand scheme of things isn't a life or death matter,one way or another- :) :)
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"