K7's Wheeled Cradle

huszarail

Re: K7's Wheeled Cradle

Post by huszarail »

Might be something useful here? :shock:
http://www.edisposals.com/is-bin/INTERS ... geNumber=1

Might need another sponsored run around a lake though!! ;)
I'm only a man from Del Monte..........
thewrightstuff

Post by thewrightstuff »

Renegadenemo wrote:K7 is way too big to tow on the highway on a trailer behind a 4x4, she'll need a truck and as for slips there's only really the boating centre or Pier Cottage that would take her neither of which are especially suitable. There are, however, other private sites here and there from which she could be lifted into the water. They're all options at the moment. We'll see.
http://autofix.com.au/blog/wp-content/u ... /04/20.jpg

Charles Burnett III offshore II class craft, Cultured Vulture, when at Windermere Records Week, arrived on a trailer and was lifted by crane into the lake . Not sure of weight but Class I boats are about 5 tonnes

http://www.nmmc.co.uk/index.php?page=Co ... hoiceid=18
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

The problem is her width, 10ft 6ins or 3.2m.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
thewrightstuff

Post by thewrightstuff »

Renegadenemo wrote:The problem is her width, 10ft 6ins or 3.2m.
Unlimited Hydro 14ft plus
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Department of Transport rules on trailers.

Dimensions
If the towing vehicle has a permissible gross weight in excess of 3.5 tonnes the maximum width and length of the trailer are 2.55 metres and 12 metres respectively. If however the gross weight of the towing vehicle is 3.5 tonnes or less then the maximum permissible width and length are 2.3 metres and 7 metres respectively. In both cases the overall length of the towing vehicle and trailer must not exceed either 18m or 18.75m depending on the type of towing vehicle.

klingon

Post by klingon »

Although on the width question she can be transported under and abnormal load notification to Plod which takes 2 days and has to be sent to each force in the areas driven through-or as in the case of some Flyboys and Power boat bods they get by this by mounting the load at a 45 deg angle on the trailer-but again that runs a low bridge risk-worth thinking about though in order to avoid going everywhere with a pet plodmobile in front of you!-bit far off anyway at this point in time-need to get K7 capable of floating and the shrapnel can installed. :)
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

We looked at the 45 degree question some time ago not just to solve the transportation issues but also for display before we got sorted with the right size building but apart from the handling and engineering issues involved we decided she just wasn't supposed to be shown at that angle. We'll get her there - don't worry.

Part of the problem - I suspect - is that people don't appreciate just how bloody huge K7 actually is. OK, there are bigger boats being moved around by road but people's general perception of K7 is that she's much smaller than she really is. Another consideration is that if you knock a GRP or carbon hull it'll take it. Knock a skin of 16swg aluminium and you get a dent, or worse still, a hole.

malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk »

Who is going top be the first to bring an unlimited hydroplane to Coniston? Would like to see such a craft run on the lake.

My original question was to see what views there are about the launching of the craft. Bill is on the case of getting K7 safely to Coniston, with my good friend Novie ensuring that every square inch remains unblemished.
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Don't worry, Malcolm. We paced the gates out yesterday and the big tin boat will fit through with about a foot to spare but we did make it clear that, faced with a foul condition on the gateposts, we'd cut them off without a moment's hesitation. We would too...