"The Heart Of The Gnat"

Renegadenemo

Re: "The Heart Of The Gnat"

Post by Renegadenemo »

So did they have two fuel systems or only one?

Only kidding - I'm not that bothered.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Richie

Post by Richie »

the orange is shocking to say the least... almost like a High Viz jacket kind of orange.... at least the trainer aircraft could see each other with that scheme...
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
DamienB

Post by DamienB »

Sounds like a tall tale to me. Engine removal on the Gnat is a simple job - rear fuselage splits off and engine rolls out. Only a total idiot would use cutting tools!
Stuart Baker

Post by Stuart Baker »

Mike Bull wrote:The RAF trainer orange as used in that scheme was a problem as it faded very quickly in use, and they actually introduced a stick-on plastic film version for some aircraft, but that was very expensive and fiddly so the whole fluorescent orange thing was eventually dropped.
These days, the Hawks which fly out of the RAF Valley training facility on Anglessey are painted in what they call "high visibility black". Sounds stupid until you see one against a bright blue or (more likely over Anglessey) white sky.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Engine removal on the Gnat is a simple job - rear fuselage splits off and engine rolls out.
If you have all the bespoke engine stands and such it does but I'd bet they ragged it out of there any which way for the want of the proper gear.

I was told by one of the old Norris Bros. guys that a TV news crew came to do a piece about the forthcoming attempt and wanted footage of the Gnat being worked on because it was being cut into with discs. The problem was that cutting aluminium with a disc doesn't make any sparks and, news crews being what they are, they wanted sparks so the workers shoved some steel into the gnat where they were cutting to give them sparks...

MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Apologies for being a bit of topic as rather than being the heart of a gnat it’s more so the ar$e of a gnat. But I didn’t see much point in starting a thread for one small question and this was the nearest subject I could find after trawling through many forum pages.

Someone has given me The Bluebird Years or is it At Coniston with Campbell as a gift and I have a question. It mentions the one of the flags on the tail fin being upside down I think it even has a picture and then it goes on to say it was still like that when K7 was raised. I’ve read about this some place but I can’t think where it may have been on here or in a book. Anyhoo I’ve also read that Donald got one of his friends to repaint the upside down flag when they were laid up with intake woes I think it may have been Norman Buckley, I’m sure I read he repaired the loom that was cut when they took the engine out at the same time if this helps pin it down to source. Now I’ve typed that I think it was in the DC Bluebird last record attempt I’ve lent me old chap my copy so I can’t look it up.

Just wondering if someone could tell me if one flag was upside down when it was raised. On another note I’ve read some place that the flags on the nose were at half mast. I’m guessing the poles were just painted a bit too long for someone’s liking or is this just an urban myth like the oar on board for insurance story and the running on red derv by the end.
Life's not having a good hand of cards....
But playing a poor hand well.
Sorry for the poor spelling in my posts my friends and family marvel at how someone reasonably educated can be so poor at spelling
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Our resident historian knows about this one and I'm sure he's posted something about it. Neil?

Jordangbr

"The Heart Of The Gnat"

Post by Jordangbr »

The union flags are the correct way up but I do believe that it's a simple misconception. A Union flag is the correct way up when the wider white section of the cross of St Andrew is to the top nearest the hoist of the flag ie where the halyard attaches to raise it.
What you have to do is look at both sides of the flag to fully understand this. Most people see a Union Flag in books etc as flying from left to right but imagine seeing it from the reverse side.
And for an added bit of useless information a Union Flag is only a Union Jack when it is flown from the Jack Staff of a warship or submarine and should never be flown by any other vessel. Merchant vessels can fly a Pilot Jack which is a small Union Flag in the middle of a white background.
My head is full of useless rubbish.... :-)
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!
sheppane

Post by sheppane »

Renegadenemo wrote:Our resident historian knows about this one and I'm sure he's posted something about it. Neil?
The union flag on the port side of the fin was painted on upside down. It was touched up to correct it by Ted Hamel during the second week of November 66. Ted also fixed the wiring loom by put a heavy duty join between the two halves before the air intakes we refitted. The bow flags were apparently painted at 3/4 mast. This was rectified at Burrell road before K7 left for Coniston. Hope that helps.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/
Pullman99

Post by Pullman99 »

We were on a shopping trip to Portsmouth yesterday but called by at Hamble to see XM693. It's displayed in spurious "Red Arrows" livery but seems to be kept fairly clean. The site is on a corner of the GE Aviation factory (the old Folland works) opposite The Harrier pub (you'd have thought The Gnat would have been more appropriate). Not far away is a small memorial to the pilots of the ATA. This part of the GE site is bounded by wire mesh fencing and is actually part of their sports club facilities so getting close is impossible although the security fence does deter vandalism.

Hopefully someone is looking after this aircraft and I wonder if, at its next repaint, there could be a possibility that it can be returned to full training livery?

Fin!

On the way, we also stopped briefly at the Hovercraft Museum at Lee-on-the-Solent. Now only open for group visits by appointment but seems to have much of interest including this Bristol Proteus powered SRN4 The Princess Margaret (I think that they've got The Princess Anne as well).

Last edited by Pullman99 on Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Robinson
Bluebird K7 - the restoration project of the Century.