Pic of the Day

Renegadenemo

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by Renegadenemo » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:34 pm

Three decimal places means you are measuring in metres, centimetres, millimetres ............ being within a 1/32 of an inch may have done in the fifties ;) .
The result of several weeks of setting up the spars and sponsons then measuring with a laser scanner proved that the diagonals between the front and rear spars was 3.855m both ways. Pretty good, eh. The structure is absolutely spot on.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:41 am

I was much enjoying the Retro POTD images, but it's great to see the present run of pix that show current activity.

It must be weird working on those sponsons sometimes, when you stop to think that the last time someone made these parts, K7 had no history whatsoever and Donald hadn't a record to his name.

An enduring legend having been created in the 60 years between, the whole thing's come full circle with new-build again.

Nigel

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:14 am

Cheers Nigel. It's always spooky when you have the actual boat in your hands and you recognise tiny features- dings, dents, wonky screws, whatever- in the archive photos and get reminded that it's the same thing, but, the new sponsons can sometimes surprise you with that same quality; they too look like the archive shots, so we must be doing something right.

You still get the odd person (in more ways than one) who likes to have a jibe about the length of time things are taking, but 1, they've never set foot in the workshop and 2, I like to think that the finished boat will blow away any criticisms- she's going to look so much like herself, and have so much sheer presence, it'll be quite mind-boggling.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:04 pm

It's certainly weird working on the sponson tops. We've just included the last of the original pieces of sponson skin and now we're all new build but just the size of them and to see them built up is spooky. The cores don't have the same effect because the only time they were ever really seen like that was in a handful of pics when the spar was being raised and then when they'd been stripped off in the crash - but put the top covers on...

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

riding shotgun

Post by riding shotgun » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:56 am

Just when you think there can't be anymore original Bluebird parts left another piece comes out of storage and back in it's rightful place, some with original to paint as well!

Colin

Ste

Post by Ste » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:51 pm

Looking great! Amazing how finished off she looks with the fairings in place. Simply stunning - keep up the good work -cooking on gas now! :thumbup:

Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:29 pm

PotD wrote:Look at many archive photos or footage of the boat- particularly views taken when she’s actually out on a run- and you’ll see a strange effect whereby one sponson seems to be ahead of the other one,
I still wouldn't discount the possibility that one actually was :lol:
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:18 pm

I still wouldn't discount the possibility that one actually was :lol:
Hey - our diagonals across the spars are correct to three decimal places, I'll have you know...

sbt

Post by sbt » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:24 pm

Renegadenemo wrote: Hey - our diagonals across the spars are correct to three decimal places, I'll have you know...
I think the comment was related to the fact that that may not be historically accurate.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:04 pm

Everything appears to have been set up very accurately back in the day but it's well known that the sponsons let in water and that just oughtn't be possible so what shape must they have been?