Pic of the Day

Andrew453

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by Andrew453 »

Brilliant reconstruction of the foredeck skins in today's POTD, guys. Looking forward to seeing pics of the finished article. But if these are skins that form the foredeck, does that make them the fore..... oh, never mind!
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Brilliant reconstruction of the foredeck skins in today's POTD, guys. Looking forward to seeing pics of the finished article. But if these are skins that form the foredeck, does that make them the fore..... oh, never mind!
Foreskins? Yes, we can call them that. It's not a good idea to suggest things like that - they tend to stick. Oh, and thanks for the vote of confidence on the rebuild work too We had another good play with our foreskins again tonight so we'll post a few more pics soon.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
klingon

Post by klingon »

How do you circumcise a whale?-send down 4 skin- divers! :lol:
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

How do you circumcise a whale?-send down 4 skin- divers!
Don't tell us... you're here all week.

wbjohn

Post by wbjohn »

We must remember "youth" was also on security detail that day also, now the fine british sunshine is upon us, the door has been opened and fresh air is thurst upon the team, but with it comes the public as they glance into the workshop whilst passing by, and therefore approach for the ever rare picture of a young man doing peace work, or is it the rare picture of an aluminum crane jib. :lol:
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Who actually took that pic, by the way? It was on my camera but I didn't take it. It's a cracking shot.

wbjohn

Post by wbjohn »

I assume Mike as I didn't take it, although you should never assume as it could make an ASS out of U and ME, you never know it could have been the visitor from the local picture press who said he was well known by the boss, who's name he could not remember or Helen may have started to take pics like her good man usually does, or youth might even has set the camera up on the tripod and used the time delay, oh now I'm waffling.
quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

Congratulations on the super work on K7's engine! It's great that you guys have managed to revive key parts of the original unit and put them back to work.

When the public see the engine cover coming off - whether "in the flesh" or on TV - they'll see that this restoration is so very much more than skin-deep.

Great stuff. 8-)
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Congratulations on the super work on K7's engine! It's great that you guys have managed to revive key parts of the original unit and put them back to work.
Thanks, Nigel...

Of the original lump we've saved the inlet (or 'bell end' as it was labelled in the museum for several months), the oil tank and its associated pipework and, of course, the entire fuel system.
The bell end had a completely different ring of fixing bolts to the 101 engine to which it's now bolted but in our favour most of the mounting flange had rotted away so we fabricated a new one and drilled it accordingly. The oil tank has alloy bungs in its three separate compartments and two of those were rotted as was the filler cap and its retaining spring. Replacements are incoming from the machine shop as we speak. The ferrous fittings on the oil pipes had vanished too so they're on the way and the bottom ends weren't compatible with the later oil pump so short sections were fabricated and inserted to marry up the oil lines.
The fuel system is in the hands of the people who designed it and supported it for forty years so that's OK.
The engine itself lay around in poor conditions for many years so it's been largely stripped, the gearbox scrubbed out and rebuilt and all the oilways flushed through, and the main bearings from both ends removed and inspected. It's a good engine now. Can't wait to get a tune out of it.

ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

Thanks for posting today's (05/05/10) pic of the day. Good choice that it is showing 5PSI, on the 5th of the 5th... :shock:

What were the other 2(?) gauges for that sat alongside the fuel boost pressure gauge, and where did the needle stop on those?

Does make you wonder why they were not mounted in the cockpit...Chris