Pic of the Day

bluebirdsback

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by bluebirdsback »

Hi Itsawrap.
Took you a while for you to get back but i can understand the fact you probably have been fantasising about my perfect bronzed body of godhood. Dont worry your not alone. My good friend Pat Wairs goes week at the knees whenever i pass.
I know its spelt weak but with most women it lasts 7 days.
As for my other chums, you can stop checking the fly papers and spiders webs. I mearley broken off on vacation for a few days knowing full well my boat would be in good hands till i returned.
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong

Russ

Post by Russ »

You'll all be getting bored with this cockpit opening two days later malarkey...
Bored? No.

Impressed? Hell, yes.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Glad you like it.

I'd say these are the last properly smashed pieces to be repaired. There's some original pieces to let into other new panels elsewhere on the boat but these cockpit sides are kind of iconic and we're especially proud of the fact they they're almost totally original. They've taken some sorting, mind you, and there's still a way to go but we're winning now. A big stretch of the job depends on them too because without them we can't finish the air intakes or the nose. We've another session on them tomorrow so we'll post another pic after that.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

Pullman99

Post by Pullman99 »

Today's fluffy duck (Rev. Spooner might have a problem with that) / herring gull pic prompts the question of whether the captions are becoming longer by the day. Technical details of rivets are, well, riveting but feathers leave me cold. The gull no doubt thinks it's the other way round. :)
Ian Robinson
Bluebird K7 - the restoration project of the Century.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Fluffy Duck was just a bit of fun. We get wrong off the ladies and WAGs if we stay too techie for too long so a seagull made a change. The captions come and go to suit the subject.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

Pullman99

Post by Pullman99 »

Yeah. Not being serious. Fluffy Ducks rule OK. :) Always look forward to all the news and continuing banter. Makes my day! :D
Ian Robinson
Bluebird K7 - the restoration project of the Century.

bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

Spot on Mike. Without the characters and humour the project itself would be mind numbing when spending months on one panel or tube cleaning etc. If it were done any other way to the way its done it either wouldn't work, or there would be a high turnover of volunteers. Some tasks are mind numbing but incidents like the fluffy duck breaks the monotony and everyone has a good laugh and carries on as happy as can be. What a bloody great way to run a project.
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

We had a full day on the curved part of the cockpit opening today. It would be a difficult shape to reproduce accurately from a standing start using new material but pulling old tin back from whence it came just makes it a nightmare. But we got it - well, one side at least, and before we could copy it over to the other we thought a quick spray of guide-coat would flag up any major lumps and bumps. Basically, a thin sheen of shiny paint so you can see what's what. Normally you'd use black - it being the shiniest colour especially when wet but I didn't see this coming...
Blue Paint.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Your early days tail fin touch ups aside, I can happily say I'm the first person to spray blue paint onto Bluebird since 66/67!
And now you have to get it off again... Ha!

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Said I would...worth it for the look-see though, wasn't it?
Could've done the same job with one of my fat, black marker pens then swabbed it back off with xyelene... What's all that blue paint about?