Pic of the Day

bluebirdsback

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by bluebirdsback » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:20 am

I have some childrens books in the loft from late fifties early 60s. Please feel free to moderate here. One of them the hero is a boy called little black Sambo. He is chased by a tiger, climbs a tree and the tiger runs round the tree so much he turns to butter, which little black Sambo takes back to his family to spread on their bread. Another is Noddy (hooray)
The story starts with Chalkie the white faced golliwog being bullied but ends with them all being the best of friends.
I was brought up reading such books and it never crossed my mind they could be classed as racist.

My 7 year old granddaughter has never heard of baa baa black sheep.
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:10 am

I'm just old enough to remember Little Black Sambo and the tigers that melted into butter.It was one of those kid's radio play things that they used to take you upstairs at school to listen to on the 'wireless'. He's on YouTube but check out the cruelty to animals, and an endangered species too. Someone ought to complain!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmG4SQeH7bo

The oldest came home with a new one yesterday, 'Eeny, meeny, miney mo - catch a fish then let it go...'

It's fair enough that times change and often for the better but as a senior, serving police officer said to me recently, "This political correctness crap has taken all the flavour out of conversation and left it bland."

Couldn't have put it better myself...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

captain sparkle

Post by captain sparkle » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:31 am

when i was a young 'un, the girls used to sing
'ding dong bell, pussy's in the well'
Do they still sing it, or has this been changed this as well?

mtskull

Post by mtskull » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:25 am

Renegadenemo wrote:"This political correctness crap has taken all the flavour out of conversation and left it bland."
Hmm. There are around a quarter of a million words in the English language, so anyone who can't make colourful conversation without resorting to the handful of words which are now considered offensive is lacking either vocabulary or imagination.

Nice POTD, by the way, good to see the big blue boat coming along....
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:07 am

Hmm. There are around a quarter of a million words in the English language, so anyone who can't make colourful conversation without resorting to the handful of words which are now considered offensive is lacking either vocabulary or imagination.
And therein lies the problem. Things that are considered offensive... It's the reasons for concocting the offence and the people who do it that get up everyone's nose, not the words.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:32 am

it should be called Nigger, because that was his ruddy name!!!
Ooh! You mustn't - someone will take offence. Quick, fiddle with history and make it go away!

tkibbie

Post by tkibbie » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:37 pm

Okay I've stopped laughing long enough to type, I thought only we in the colonies where that screwed up, but sad to see it appears you are caught on this absurd merry go round. :cry:

StuartB

Post by StuartB » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:50 pm

I'm not getting involved in the PC thing someone will take offence :lol: I have a question ref Pic of the Day though are the new It'll fix Polo's going to be up for sale or are they a team only shirt?? Keep up the Great Progress Regards Stu

JackTheGeordieLad

Post by JackTheGeordieLad » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:22 pm

Is that your opinion of us then Mike? ;)
Shy Bairnes Get Nowt!

Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:25 pm

Hobo Mike! :lol:
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!