Pic of the Day

ace_chris

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by ace_chris »

Loving those Orph pictures, thank you. Will you be doing any demo engine runs of the Orph either as it is now, or installed in the hull? Would be quite an ocassion and sound! Chris
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Glad you like our Orph'. It's a bit grubby but we're getting there. The plan is to fit most of K7's systems to it and spark it up in the yard just so we can learn to handle it. If anyone wants to come along I'm sure there'll be room for one or two tea makers.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

You could always borrow Nigels air starter if necessary... ;) I couldnt take a hoover apart, let alone a jet engine but I am fascinated by them (jet engines not Hoovers!) - they appear so simple in terms of design but the sheer amount of power and thrust produced is staggering...! And to think Frank Whittle got a lousy million quid or so off the government for all his efforts. Shameful really! Chris
jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 »

any idea of a date for the first ignition bill? i can cook toast as well as brew up!! :D
The world is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, then steal your dreams..
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

First ignition - not a clue.
There's not much to the Orph' and I can't imagine it'll take much getting going but as this particular example is to be our test bed for other systems we may as well have it in decent order.
The poor old thing stood outside for a good while so the front casting, which is magnesium, has done the old dissimilar metal dance with the stainless steel guide-vane ring so we have a corrosion-product build up between the ring and the casting itself, which is misaligning the main bearing line a smidge.
We're going to pull that down tomorrow and fix it then we can build the engine back up and get its ancillaries back on. Every Orph we've had has suffered the same fate. They pull the oil tank off and don't blank the inlets, which face skywards and let the rain in so the oilways fur up from the inside out. We've had to have a new pump machined almost from scratch but that's built and tested too. (Engine oil all over the kitchen but cleaned up before the wife returned and what fun it was obtaining the drawings!)
I guess, like everything else, we'll just keep relentlessly plugging away until it's built. I'm sure our support act must be about ready to show off their Orph' too so it'll not be long before you get to see one in action.

CHWk7

Post by CHWk7 »

Better make sure you have bolted down hard or otherwise you could end up with burnt paint on garage doors not to mention trees or gravel driveways!! :lol: Chris
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

Firstly apologies if this is posted in the incorrect section but seeing that there is much progress on the 'Orph I though it most relevant. Small clip of a restored Proteus turbine being run up. This model of engine was used in cn7. Stick with it until about 30 seconds in...Chris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAuTkPj- ... re=related
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

Bet there were a few singed eye-brows...! Whenever you see footage of CN7 spooling up there appeared to be a smilar amount of flame! Chris
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Just because you took it - show off.

bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

Have to say i am loving the recent pics of the day of that handsome chap. ;)
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong