Pic of the Day

Richie

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by Richie »

I don't think the world is ready to see that hat again. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

My 'searching hat' currently hangs on my bookshelves despite requests to display it in the museum and will be firmly on my head next time Predator takes to the water - hopefully this summer in search of crashed Barracudas.
It doesn't go near welding or choccie but it does still have the blood stain inside from the day I knocked myself out on Predator's cabin roof.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

-The team would like to offer their deepest sympathies to the girl in the blue coat then!
Has to be said... I got the better deal. :D
Hols.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Richie

Post by Richie »

My eyes are singed Bill......by those shorts..... What are they about ?! :lol:
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

My eyes are singed Bill......by those shorts..... What are they about ?!
They're special shorts... they ring-fence the worst of the problem.

jondavidvox

Post by jondavidvox »

So wait a minute....The front engine mount failed under tension, not the expected compression from the crash?

What then are the possible dynamic/synergistic effects? One would think (depending on the mount's actual location) that a pitching motion might be an effect of such a failure....If the engine pitched up, then flamed out....

J-D
DFW/USA
kneeslider

Post by kneeslider »

I wonder... I saw the pic of the failed front engine mounting too, its the first time I've seen that, in spite of following events on here for a long time, and remember the discussions (pre forum) about the effects of the failed front mount, and its possible contribution to the accident.

Now, could it be, that when rapidly pitching up, the gyroscopic precession could tear this mounting sideways causing the faliure in tension?
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Turning right would put it in tension due to gyroscopic precession and it was also designed to be battered by air over an airframe rather than water under a steel-framed boat so it was being operated well outside of its intended performance envelope.
It was later sectioned and tested by a metallurgy lab and demonstrated to be a genuine R-R part machined from a 40-tons tensile material as per the drawing and that it suffered a low frequency fatigue failure. There's also ample evidence from witness marks, etc, that the jetpipe was unrestrained in the initial impact so the engine mount failure has always been thought significant but then so is the parlous state of the entire fuel system so nothing may be accepted without reasonable doubt except, perhaps, that the event precipitating the accident was flameout of the engine, whether by failure of the engine mount or of the fuel system generally. Without the engine flameout it is generally agreed that the situation was potentially recoverable.

mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Renegadenemo wrote:My 'searching hat' currently hangs on my bookshelves despite requests to display it in the museum and will be firmly on my head next time Predator takes to the water - hopefully this summer in search of crashed Barracudas.
Now here's a thought: what would you do if, instead of just finding some sections of crashed Barracuda, you found one that was more or less intact?
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Now here's a thought: what would you do if, instead of just finding some sections of crashed Barracuda, you found one that was more or less intact?
It would have to be in fresh water and, as it happens, we know where some Barra's we're dumped in fresh water but what remains of them we're yet to determine but the permissions are in place and we'll be going on a mini exped' soon to have a look. And if we found one more or less intact - good result, I'd say. It would save a lot of work.