Pic of the Day

mtskull

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by mtskull » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:42 am

no1traumanurse wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:56 am
For those of us, might be just me, with no idea about metallurgy. Why are the floor skins going off to be heated?
I was about to ask a different (but related) question: Are the floors going to be heat treated again once you have got them exactly how you want them?
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:09 am

The floors are made of a ridiculous alloy (7068) it has the same tensile strength as steel and is near impossible to work with or weld in its hard condition so it's been annealed and furnace cooled to make it soft as butter and once we have it all back in one piece and straight it'll go back to be heated and quenched to restore its properties.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes

Voltaire's apology when he wrote a long letter: "I didn't have time to make it shorter."

no1traumanurse

Post by no1traumanurse » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:44 am

Will that take its strength back to original or is it just more important that it evens its properties after all the seperate areas of stretching, shrinking and welding?

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:36 pm

Will that take its strength back to original or is it just more important that it evens its properties after all the seperate areas of stretching, shrinking and welding?
All of the above. There's just no dealing with it in its hard condition and once it's soft it would hydroform into the iner floor corrugations soon as we put any load on it.
We spent all of Saturday subtly shifting the front of the floor a quarter inch to the left to line up some rivet holes but this was only possible because it's so soft. Good news is it's coming back to us very quickly so it shouldn't be too long before it's back for heat treatment.

Voltaire's apology when he wrote a long letter: "I didn't have time to make it shorter."

mtskull

Post by mtskull » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:30 am

When you say the breathing air bottle holder won't be used again, do you mean that you won't be putting it back, or just that it won't need to hold a breathing air bottle again? Was DMC using breathing air during the 1966/67 attempt?
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:01 am

Tomorrow's POTD finishes the tale but yes, of course we put it back and no, it won't be used again to hold a bottle. Donald wasn't using any breathing air- there was no longer a regulator in the cockpit for him to connect to; his mask was purely for communication.
'...I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve...'

Richie

Post by Richie » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:30 pm

And for giving him CO2 narcosis
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

Black Knight

Post by Black Knight » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:24 am

Odd that the hose wasn't removed from the mask then. Unless he thought it might aact as a snorkel :mrgreen:

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:39 pm

Odd that the hose wasn't removed from the mask then. Unless he thought it might aact as a snorkel :mrgreen:
I suspect that was a symptom of his showmanship - wouldn't look quite the fighter pilot with the hose lopped off.

Terminator

Post by Terminator » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:45 pm

I wondered what that piece of foam was doing on the floor when I last visited! Some old guy taking up his new found faith I thought :D
Soft as putty now but we had a hell of a fight to pin those floors down to that pasting table to get all the differing coatings off to enable Bill to get them heat treated. Bloody hard graft if i do say so myself, but all done now though and the Prep department will be closed for business as nowt else to prep me thinks. All Done ? :)

Time to move on to other things once again
Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"