Re: Pic of the Day

Post by Jordangbr »

Bright white looks ‘right’
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I'm only kidding. If the consensus is white then white it is. Would like to finish the one l've started in the off-white, though. It looks very soft and less sanitised than the flags on the nose, for example. If it doesn't work it won't take much swapping back.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr »

And you have a brace of Bluebirds to paint on the tail fairings too....
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!
JfromJAGs

Post by JfromJAGs »

The "original" piece was cut out from the crashed upper part of the original 1967 sponsons? Very strange.

Although it looks like Old English/Cream White (RAL 9001) now, looking at most old pictures it looks much less yellowish. Is there anything else white in those old pictures from which the exact type of white is known better? A car maybe?

On the other hand conistoncollies comparison picture was an eye opener to me - I do agree with Bill that for some unknown reason the Old English too yellowish White fits nicer to Bluebird Blue (RAL 5009) than a more pure white. In Mike's picture of Bill's paint work, with the red tape and no black paint, it looks very odd though.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

On the other hand conistoncollies comparison picture was an eye opener to me - I do agree with Bill that for some unknown reason the Old English too yellowish White fits nicer to Bluebird Blue (RAL 5009) than a more pure white. In Mike's picture of Bill's paint work, with the red tape and no black paint, it looks very odd though.
This is a strange one because if you could hold the original piece in your hands you'd swear that the paint was as pure as the day it went on yet it's most definitely an off-white. The colour matched from it also looks amazing on the sponson but, again, you have to actually be there and see it for real. And, no, the red masking does it no favours at all. I therefore remain with a foot in both camps.

I spent a few hours down there on my own tonight flatting off the coat I put on there on Saturday and finally working out how to make the paint flow out properly so now the roundel is smooth and shiny and as a result it looks even more like the original. I'm inclined to finish this side in the off-white so we can see how it looks and do the other side in pure white then choose which looks best and swap out the one we don't like.

I'd say that the pure white will look more like the photos but the off-white will work best, just because...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
conistoncollie

Post by conistoncollie »

Modern A4 paper and Brilliant White paint contains artificial brighteners.

1960's signwriters paint would be more muted. Not old-Engish, but not as aggressive as Brilliant White.

An old signwriter once told me he mixed a small amount of black into white used for historical/restoration work. In effect a very very pale grey.
midlife

Pic of the Day

Post by midlife »

Must admit that when I saw the old English white I thought it looked fantastic, it has an almost sepia tint like the colour photos I remember seeing as a kid.
Upon reflection though and as Mike states above, i think it needs to be white, perhaps toned down a tad.
I can't help thinking supermodel with a manky tooth...
Sorry!!
Cheers
Wayne

pmc

Post by pmc »

A couple of random thoughts...

¿Is "Old English White" a stable decay product of old English white paint?
Bill says the paint color is uniform throughout, which seems unexpected for deteriorating paint. Could it be that 50 yrs ago it was white, 40 yrs ago it was a mottle of white through in-between shades to OEW, and from 30 yrs ago to today it's been uniform OEW?
If so, that would relieve the tension over how it could look so perfectly OEW now if it was white then (and why "Old English White" exists as a color that would prompt people to name it and think the name describes a color).

¿Did Lloyds specify colors?
In original practical use such were a high contrast mark specified for a working purpose (afaik). Lloyds was in a business that one might expect to have emphasised writing out all the details they had reason to care about. Might Lloyds have specified that such marks be black black on white white?
If so, that would give a documented reason to suppose that it was white unless positively determined to be exceptional.

...and back to whatever it was I'm supposed to be doing...
midlife

Post by midlife »

Wasn't Crusader red on white?
Cheers
Wayne

Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

1F87E836-0BC1-4C37-9D2D-E2C95BF224EB.jpeg
Crusader was red on silver. Though I’m convinced by the colour photos I’ve seen that it had a gold pinstrip. The infinity & 6 was black on white.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.