Pic of the Day

quicksilver-wsr

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

Lumme, I hadn't realised. As you say, it makes a nonsense of the bulkheads - other than as aids to the rigidity of the hull.

The addition of an internal skin atop the corrugated layer, to match the external skin beneath it, would have created a lovely sandwich panel ... highly effective in shear ... and would have then made some sense of the bulkheads as barriers to water ingress.

Inside the corrugations would still have been a water-trap, but the job as a whole would have been a better one.

Still ... hindsight's a wonderful thing.

Nigel
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Lumme, I hadn't realised. As you say, it makes a nonsense of the bulkheads - other than as aids to the rigidity of the hull.
The cockpit floor was a sandwich with an inner skin though I suspect this had more to do with Donald having somewhere to put his feet other than in the corrugations.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

Looking at POTD today ... dig those wooden wheels! :)

I would never have guessed that the Chariot was invented in Geordieland :D

Nigel
rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

Today' POTD and the oft-quoted reference to Donald's "Rocketry - advanced engineering - what have you... " statement reminds me of a Pentagon briefing for journalists many years ago, just after some military vehicle or launcher had failed and disappeared with a splash into the Atlantic somewhere. A resplendent, medal-bedecked 4 star General approached the rostrum, looked the journos in the eye and said "First of all, let me make this clear - this IS rocket science" ......

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

rob565uk wrote:Today' POTD and the oft-quoted reference to Donald's "Rocketry - advanced engineering - what have you... " statement reminds me of a Pentagon briefing for journalists many years ago, just after some military vehicle or launcher had failed and disappeared with a splash into the Atlantic somewhere. A resplendent, medal-bedecked 4 star General approached the rostrum, looked the journos in the eye and said "First of all, let me make this clear - this IS rocket science" ......

............ and Richard Branson may want to use the same opening line from now on too .....

rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

Regarding the latest Pic of the Day series telling the story of the Igniters for the Orpheus, worth mentioning that these have both been energised on the engine test bed and produced a very impressive stream of high-energy sparks in both cases :D A fitting tribute to all concerned in their restoration.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Regarding the latest Pic of the Day series telling the story of the Igniters for the Orpheus, worth mentioning that these have both been energised on the engine test bed and produced a very impressive stream of high-energy sparks in both cases :D
No holes in the cans either... I was genuinely bemused that Barry was concerned about how we'd to that as he rewound the coils.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

They blew my mind when I first looked at them once Barry had done his magic. Top Bloke Top job on those igniters :)
Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
Richie

Post by Richie »

You should see his workshop ! It's like Jerusalem but for precision engineers, then the engine room is like a shrine !
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Re- Pic of the day of our very own Mr. Alan 'Doddy' Dodd's I prefer to think of him as a Master Craftsman. Another top bloke whom without his input and skills we would not be where we are today with K7. I Popped in and spent an hour or so with Alan and his good lady Dot the other week and it was no surprise to find him tinkering inside his garage. Sadly Alan is unable to do a full day bashing away in the workshop theses days due to age related health problems. However I have told him it is no problem for me to take him over for the odd day to catch up with the lads and give of his valuable expertise and advice. Taxi for Mr. Dodd's :D
Cheers
Novie
P.S A few examples of Alan's excellent workmanship are on display upstairs in the Ruskin Museum.
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"