Pic of the Day

Renegadenemo

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by Renegadenemo »

I am sure that when on static display and any panels are off, the team could change that solid pipe for rubber.
First things first. I got into endless trouble from the engineers at Rolls-Royce for calling such things 'solid' pipes. They rightly pointed out that were it solid it wouldn't be a pipe at all and would be a bar. It's actually a 'rigid' pipe.
The problem we had was that they appear to have lashed up the plumbing in desperation by hack sawing then gas welding a fitting to force the hose that once came from the abandoned fuel filter to go around a corner it just should never have gone around and that fix, if you can call it a fix,surely wouldn't have lasted long before they had to think again.
The situation now is that if you want an inch BSP fitting it must, for safety and regulatory reasons, come attached to a hose of a certain standard that, as pressures, loads and demands have increased with improved engineering, has grown much fatter and less bendy than what you got in 1966 and even less inclined to go around that impossible corner.
Given the state of the bodge it's likely their comparatively lightweight hose would have given in and kinked soon enough too and they'd have had to come up with an alternative so swapping out for a rigid pipe would have been a good option. We just beat them to it half a century later.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

Apologies to Rolls Royce but you have to have worked with s**t to have come across the phrase that I applied to that small piece of pipe in the pic of the day. The phrase 'solid pipe' is used frequently by those working with sewers and it is a contraction of the full description of "solid wall .. (describe material) .. sewer pipe". You can see I engineered at the 'bottom end' of the scale.
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
Richie

Post by Richie »

Nice to see Alex in the workshop. Doing what hr does reslly well i might add :)
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

The phrase 'solid pipe' is used frequently by those working with sewers
I think you mean 'solids' pipe, Malcolm. I was born into the building trade and ran a mile in the face of so much dust, mud and outside work rather than take on the family firm.
So much nicer in a warm machine shop in January with the smell of hot oil and a bubbling kettle than up a scaffold in the sleet. I prefer 'rigid' pipes any day under the guidance of those who know what real engineering is about.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
midlife

Post by midlife »

Renegadenemo wrote: First things first. I got into endless trouble from the engineers at Rolls-Royce for calling such things 'solid' pipes. They rightly pointed out that were it solid it wouldn't be a pipe at all and would be a bar. It's actually a 'rigid' pipe.
Ohh the joys of Rolls Royce, even after 30 years I still recoil in shock at some of the things they hit us with....
We have a thing called “High Performance Culture”

My two favourite headings are don’t assume motives, assume positive intention & stay curious.
I got the brown end of the stick & had to do a presentation on these topics. Unfortunately it didn’t go down too well as my northern bluntness kicked in.

On the Stay Curious topic:-
We are told that the picture represents a wheelbarrow.... all I did was searched for wheelbarrow in Google images, none looked anywhere like the image so, NO, someone may call it a wheelbarrow but that individual is most probably “special”

On the don’t assume motives, assume positive Intention:-
I used pics of George Orwell’s 1984 & the fences around the factory (they slope in at the top not out), I pointed out that assuming positive intention had been tried before with dire consequences, at which point I put a pic up of the “work sets you free” sign from Auschwitz.

Ohh I got a good old rollocking lol
Funnily enough when I have to do a presentation nowadays my gaffers tend to check its content beforehand.
Cheers
Wayne

Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 »

Lols. The Wheelbarrow got used again, I recall - and again provided entertainment - unless you were On Message....

Stuff like this at R-R, contributed to me not working for them any more.
midlife

Post by midlife »

3 years till retirement, it’s killing me lol

Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 »

@midlife,

Starting tunneling....... ;)
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

Finding the fire system pictures interesting (is that disturbing?!). If the system goes off, how and where is the water released and in all honesty would it be effective?
polo

Post by polo »

a Bit dangerous, Carbon Tet has the same properties as chloroform in the 'putting you to sleep' department. Its good for getting stains out of clothing though.