Pic of the Day

Speedfab

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by Speedfab »

Well played, Mike. :D That nearly eliminates the need for turbine tech school.

Edit: The cutaway you or whoever made that funny pic with looks like a Rolls Royce Trent series engine - an absolutely incredible piece of engineering. I have no reservations in saying you lot across the Atlantic are still leading the world in that bit of wizardry, IMO.
Gareth Hayes

Post by Gareth Hayes »

Looking through some of the old pics I found one that was intrigueing to say the least. In one pic there was Gina Campbell herself riveting the inside of the big blue boat with Mister Woppit giving her a helping hand. So I couldn't help but wonder how many other times (if any) she's helped you out & whether she still keeps in contact with you good people. If only just to see how things are progressing with her father's old boat
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

She's not been 'hands on' other than setting that first rivet, though.
In fairness - those fingernails wouldn't look so elegant with choccie all over them.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler
Gareth Hayes

Post by Gareth Hayes »

Renegadenemo wrote:
She's not been 'hands on' other than setting that first rivet, though.
In fairness - those fingernails wouldn't look so elegant with choccie all over them.
Ah yes the infamous substance that at various times you've called "chocolate" &/or "dog****". Whatever that stuff is it looks befit its more profane description. I just hope for all your sakes that it isn't as pungent as its namesake!
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Choccie is different to dog-sh*t. Choccie is a polysulphide sealant designed to make fluid and airtight joints and to prevent dissimilar metal corrosion between panels and rivets, etc. Because it's sulphur based you may imagine how horrid it smells. Dog-sh*t, on the other hand, is an epoxy putty we used on the sponsons to make sure all the spar frames were exactly up to height and level before we riveted down the outer skins. Very sticky but doesn't smell so bad.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

Is there a gallery i can't find on the website that has all the pic of the days in? Is the a way to view all the diary photo's without having to read through all the diary pages?
Gareth Hayes

Post by Gareth Hayes »

Black Knight wrote:Is there a gallery i can't find on the website that has all the pic of the days in? Is the a way to view all the diary photo's without having to read through all the diary pages?
Try "media" at the projects home page. That should sort out all your picture needs nicely. And if that doesn't, just google "bluebird k7", click on "images" & you should find everything you would want to see
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

Thanks Mike. Think you should give Al a kick ;-)
conistoncollie

Post by conistoncollie »

Very interesting pic of the day yesterday (connector block 29 July). Incredible to think that Donald's electrical communication with all that powerful machinery screaming behind him was routed through nothing more sophisticated than a connector block on a bit of wood.
Is the piece of wood to be classed as LOOF, or will it be preserved a la Mary Rose?
Presumably it could be dendrochronologically analysed and a piece of similar age and species substituted.

Seriously though, a fascinating photo with an equally fascinating story behind it. Illustrates well the practical 'make do and mend' approach in 1966.
Can't have been much fun standing in mud in freezing temperatures wiring that lot back together.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

As we're fond of saying, when Donald said the boat was an example of 'rocketry, advanced engineering, what have you...' It was mostly 'what have you'.

The original piece of wood is actually in good shape so our pet museum conservator, Loubie-Lou Bainbridge is going to clean it up and make it pretty so it can go back. Meanwhile, Checkie is messing with his wires, Rich is rebuilding the hyd system, BFG is on steering and (though he doesn't know it yet) the offboard start system. John and I are on the engine, Offshore-Rob (nee Aerospace) is riveting for all he's worth, Gillian is making up the fixings for the main spar and those not named above are doing whatever comes to hand. It's all go!