Pic of the Day

Renegadenemo

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by Renegadenemo »

Finding the fire system pictures interesting (is that disturbing?!). If the system goes off, how and where is the water released and in all honesty would it be effective?
The man from the company that still supports the system who gave us the new bottles seemed to think so. If there's a fire inside the engine - and we've had a few of those - a quick squirt of a CO2 extinguisher down the spout and fit the blanks takes care of that. We ought to only get that if we have a failed start so we'll be ready. If there' a fire outside of the engine inside the hull the system ought to drench the whole volume with carbon-tet and put it out. Hopefully we'll never get to find out but just in case our safety boats will be equipped with fire-fighting kit.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 »

My (semi intelligent -?) guess for the Fire Extiguishant would be 'BCF ' - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromochlo ... oromethane - rather than Carbon Tetrachloride.

If I could find a pic of the system, I might guess better.... :?
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

The later, light brown bottles use something different to the green ones but I'm pretty sure the green ones are filled with BCF. That's Mike distracting me again. The carbon-tet bottles were up inside the Vulcan, I think. Know we've seen them somewhere. Will have a proper look tomorrow.

ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

Thanks Bill and Mike for the fire system updates, it’s really interesting seeing all the systems, widgets and gizmos coming back to life!
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

If you ask me, if there's a fire, you just ****ing run away! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You do as you please, I'm going to stay and try to stop that lovely blue paint coming off. Not doing that twice!

ted.walsh

Post by ted.walsh »

lets not forget, :idea:
the best way to stop a boat fire is to sink it!

lift the front,
push backwards to flood the transom,
down she goes.
dry her out 20 mins later
good for another thrash shortly after...

tried and tested - you just need the support on the water to get it done :ugeek: ...
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Is it too late to get another driver?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think maybe we should fit a padlock to the harness and lock him in for the duration. see if he sinks it then. :lol:

ted.walsh

Post by ted.walsh »

hey, it wouldn't be me doing the sinking! i'm pressing the FIRE button and then im off! :? besides I don't recollect any extinguishers in the cockpit to point at the smokey bits...
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I don't recollect any extinguishers in the cockpit to point at the smokey bits...
Anything that might get remotely smokey is about five stations behind you so if it gets hot where you're sitting you've not run away quickly enough!

Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 »

Renegadenemo wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:19 pm The later, light brown bottles use something different to the green ones but I'm pretty sure the green ones are filled with BCF. That's Mike distracting me again. The carbon-tet bottles were up inside the Vulcan, I think. Know we've seen them somewhere. Will have a proper look tomorrow.
The BCF Bottles I dealt with were a Matt Green colour, about 300mm high, say 120mm diameter. Mounted inverted. Made by Chubb, I think... not sure.

The next gen on were BTM and were Bright Green.... Like Kermit.