Pic of the Day

Richie

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by Richie »

I volunteer to go collect the raw materials hahahahaha.

if we build a chicken gun i know a guy that could get bulk chickens past their sell by dates from a supermarket.....just need to remember to defrost them beforehand.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Renegadenemo wrote:No doubt whatsoever -..... the dings will be in the spar covers. Not sure how we'll do those but a bird cannon isn't the worst idea.
Why? -I can see how it would make sense for history's sake to leave the damage as it was, if you had the spar covers and they could be re-used without taking out the tell-tale dents, but why would you put fresh dings into new spar covers after you have gone to so much trouble to straighten out all the other damage?
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Mike Bull wrote:For the same reason that we'll paint the new intake skins the same 'wrong' colour as the old ones- because that's how she was.

Anyone expecting a pristine, sanitised machine is going to be very disappointed- this old girl has a tale to tell, and we ARE going to let her tell it.

8-)
Before I say anything else, let me state that what follows is not a Type 3 rant; I have massive respect for all of the BBP team and believe that you have earned the right to present Bluebird in whatever way you choose; In my opinion you deserve great credit for choosing the (rather stony) path of maximum historical accuracy, which brings me to the point upon which I have to disagree with you:

The 'wrong' shade of blue can be accurately reproduced and applied to the intakes by a human hand wielding a spray gun, just as it was in 1966. That is historical accuracy.
In the case of the random, chance events of K7's collisions with birds, you cannot escape the fact that it is the original, damaged panels which tell the story. However hard you try to exactly reproduce the damage in a replacement panel, the result is that the only story the panel really tells is of Bill hitting it with a mallet, or a frozen chicken or whatever.
That isn't historical accuracy, it is fakery.

Please, chaps (& lasses), fit the new spar fairings as they were designed and if the originals ever turn up, put them back on, dents and all.
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk »

Some thoughts on the new topic of originality arising from Pic comments.

I understood that Gina has always wanted K7 to be presented as she was at dawn on January 4th 1967.

I offered to help the BBP because for proving the craft to be back to a working condition "as she was at that time", the project leader needed to obtain permission to make an engineering trial on Coniston Water with a series of waterborne runs above 10 mph.

Apart from parts that have been 'lost', even after recovery, to museums and private collections and those minor pieces that Bill and the other divers could not find in the lake mud, the craft will be substantially original. Having gone to all this effort to be accurate and to rebuild K7 to meet the wishes of her pilots only daughter, all elements should be as she appeared from the awning on that morning. Whether they are inside or on the outside of that blue skin.

With all of the modern aids from old film and photographs an impact deformation should be possible to reproduce to the size and depth what had been inflicted earlier in the campaign. There would be nothing 'fake' about it unless it is inflicted by a random shot of poultry aimed at the spar cover.
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

malcolm uk wrote: With all of the modern aids from old film and photographs an impact deformation should be possible to reproduce to the size and depth what had been inflicted earlier in the campaign. There would be nothing 'fake' about it
A few years ago, there was a display in the military museum in Prague which included the Mercedes in which the Nazi Reinhardt Heydrich had been travelling when he was assassinated. The car had been restored by a collector but, for the purposes of the display, damage representing that caused by the attack had been carefully inflicted upon the bodywork.
Historical accuracy?
The old films and photographs tell the story well enough without the need to resort to (no offence but there's no other word for it): fakery.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I think Dominic nailed the reason why we should present K7 exactly as she was on that morning when he said...
It's an extremely visual part of the story which will lead undoubtedly to questions: Questions mean interest
Apart from anything else, if we do the job properly, and I'd already designed a chicken gun using the start system though I'd not mentioned it, we ought to be able to get a good gauge for how fast Donald was going when he hit the birds.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler
sheppane

Post by sheppane »

I go with the dent(s) as well. However, from my experience, there is only one still image of the dent inflicted by the duck on the 27th December, unless somebody else knows different. Thats one thing I found when writing the book, a paucity of images taken in that last week of DMC and Bluebird. They must be out there somewhere...
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Thats one thing I found when writing the book, a paucity of images taken in that last week of DMC and Bluebird. They must be out there somewhere...
You would think so, wouldn't you. If we find them you'll be the first to know, Neil.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

It could simply be that that part of history was never recorded photographically with people away enjoying the holidays and such. I can't imagine the locals or the team wanting to snap away with their cameras. But you never know, next week someone might be cleaning out an attic and, bingo!

malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk »

The current pic with the remnant of left shoulder seat belt is similar to the many that newspapers used to report the recovery of K7. I have to say at that time it was the strongest image that made me unwell and think that the remains should have been turned into a trophy or two.

What I have learnt since is why there is nothing on the left hand side of that bulkhead tube.

In looking at the belt I did not focus on the torn and crushed air intake ... well done to the team for getting it back to a usable condition.
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations