Steering wheel

Jordangbr

Re: Steering wheel

Post by Jordangbr »

Still it's an improvement from drinking 'fun size' pints.
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!
bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

I'll have Mikes. Just to help him out as a mate you understand.
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong
klingon

Post by klingon »

Think I'll send Mike a bottle of Buckfast for Christmas-although in Glasgow it's considered a kids drink! :D
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

Footage of the steering box coming ashore.

http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//ITN/ ... &st=0&pn=1
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

"Great minds"!!!
Andrew453

Post by Andrew453 »

An Airwork Atlantic DC6A London to New York on Saturday 1 October 1955 according to an item in the Flight archive - see issue for 7 October. It looks quite a tight fit - the cargo door was 10' 4" wide and 7' 6" high.
turbocox

Post by turbocox »

f1steveuk wrote:Footage of the steering box coming ashore.

http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//ITN/ ... &st=0&pn=1

Just a quicky,

At 24 seconds into this fotage, am I wrong in thinking, you can see at the front of this steering shaft being carried, what appears to be whats left of the wheel :?:

It Looks to be broken (the rim a darker colour) and what seems to look like part of the spoke of the wheel silver-ish :?:

At 21 seconds the diver looks to be pulling on whats left of the wheel :?:

Or am I just tired and talking crap.
All men dream: but not equally,Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

It Looks to be broken (the rim a darker colour) and what seems to look like part of the spoke of the wheel silver-ish
Yup - you got it. But I'd bet you didn't spot that the wheel is smashed the complete opposite way to what you'd expect. You'd think that the boat would come to a sudden stop and the pilot would crash into the wheel bending it away from himself but take a close look and you'll see that quite the opposite has happened.
The reason, we think, is that the steering box, and therefore the column and the wheel, were mounted to the same fixings as the front spar. Lots of T60 steel angle plates. Because the centre hull twisted itself from under the front spar, which was kept more or less level by the buoyancy of the sponsons as the hull rolled, the fixings gave up one by one and what actually happened is that the boat came to a sudden stop and the spar carried on, ripping the column and wheel through the structure on its way out.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

I have a photo' of the remains of the wheel, but it's at home, and I suspect as I have posted it before, everyone has a copy, so it should appear here soon ;)
Richie

Post by Richie »

looking how the hand grip is crimped just reminds us of the forces involved.....

is it just me or is that a keyway on the boss (11 o clock) rather than a splined boss ?
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."