Re: The Vulcan XH558 & General Aviation Thread

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

Bomber fans will enjoy this piece about the B-52, published by the BBC today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33766644

Nigel
Pullman99

Post by Pullman99 »

Not sure if this should belong in this thread or not...but the SRN4 Hovercraft have been mentioned here before.

The Hovercraft Museum at Lee-on-the-Solent has been the home of the two SRN4s Princess Margaret and Princess Anne since they came out of service in 2000. Both powered by Bristol Proteus engines of course. I was not aware that the Hovercraft Museum Trust did not actually own them but it appears that the government body - the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA) - that is redeveloping the complete site actually has possession of both craft and is intending to very quickly demolish them. Another piece of Britain's transport heritage under threat and one that has significant local connections too (the hovercraft story began in nearby Hythe). The Trust has launched an on-line petition to try to delay action and/or change the developer's mind and it looks as if they are trying to save one (Princess Anne) at least.

The BBC has produced this news story today. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-35449474.

The museum's own website hasn't been updated for a while so it's a bit difficult understanding how long they've got but, hopefully, it will have some sort of sensible outcome. Not in the same league as saving the odd Titian for the nation I don't suppose...
Ian Robinson
Bluebird K7 - the restoration project of the Century.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Yup - as typically short-sighted as we've come to expect. Surely there's a little aviation or vehicle museum nearby that will put one in a corner? Granted, they'd take a bit of moving but nothing is impossible. Has anyone asked the French if they'd like to preserve one? I presume they float OK when not under power. But modern-day people seem without motivation, common sense or the ability to organise anything unless there's an app for it or Facebollocks is involved.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Ste

Post by Ste »

rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

Thanks - I just signed and the total stands at just over 11,000 signatures at this point. I hope this example of an all-British invention can be saved and preserved.

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
Richie

Post by Richie »

Did they get anything that resembled his plane finished in time for him ?

No no wait a minute, pretty sure that would be no.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Eric Winkle Brown

Post by Renegadenemo »

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I co-presented once with Winkle at AAIB. We then went for a wander around the place until eventually our guides left us and there was only Winkle and I in the car park. This was in 2011 so he was in his nineties yet he packed his car and drove himself home. Before he left he told me that his doctor had told him to limit his number of talks for the following year. He'd done as requested but had neglected to tell his doctor that his first few talks were in New York! I thought he was a cracking chap.
Winkle.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

Renegadenemo wrote:I co-presented once with Winkle at AAIB.
That must have been both a pleasure and a privilege. He was an utterly remarkable man. I would have loved to have met him.

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
redbaron

Post by redbaron »

I'm tempted to say the list of what he hadn't flown would have been shorter........what an achievement!