The Vulcan XH558 & General Aviation Thread

Ste

Re: The Vulcan XH558 & General Aviation Thread

Post by Ste »

I expect the relative simplicity of this aircraft, and the fact that it is already partially restored makes it a better prospect. Given its record breaking pedigree, it will likely get more attention from the masses than just another Cold War Jet, meaning funding will be better supported than would other wise be the case. Also they say they are looking for a quick project to celebrate RAF centenary in 2018 - Good luck with that :shock:

I wish them all the best.
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Mike Bull wrote:The Canberra is a nice aircraft, but I can't help but think that a Harrier would be a much better project for the VTTS folk- it has the same Falklands service pedigree as the Vulcan, and the same huge crowd-pleasing appeal too. However, perhaps with it being a single engine aircraft it would never be allowed to fly in civilian hands, especially in the current airshow climate with all the changes post Shoreham still filtering through.

As I said, the Canberra is nice, but...meh. :|
I have always thought that the Canberra is a beautiful aircraft but, leaving aesthetics aside, it has the distinction of being the first British jet bomber, it remained in service with the RAF for over 55 years and was also sold abroad in phenomenal numbers. You want service pedigree? How about cold war (in tactical nuclear bomber and covert photo-recce roles) plus Suez, Malaya, Vietnam, India, Africa and more besides. Closer to home, it was used in the PR role to gather intelligence in operations against the IRA, and it also saw combat during the Falklands conflict, although admittedly not on our side....
In addition to all of the above, WK163 is a record breaker in its own right.

What's not to like? I can't wait.
Last edited by mtskull on Sat May 21, 2016 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

Agreed - I think it's a great choice

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

rob565uk wrote:Agreed - I think it's a great choice

...and nice to see there is a link to K7, as part of the early development aircraft used the MetVick Beryl

Regards

Chris
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

This is a little off-topic but so brilliantly done I just had to share.

http://silodrome.com/radial-engined-pickup-truck/
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

Renegadenemo wrote:This is a little off-topic but so brilliantly done I just had to share.

http://silodrome.com/radial-engined-pickup-truck/
That truck is an absolute work of art :-) must sound awesome and go like the proverbial off a chrome-plated shovel

The attention to detail is quite incredible and a tribute to the people who have conceived and built it with such a unique style.

I WANT one :-) !!!

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

rob565uk wrote: must sound awesome and go like the proverbial off a chrome-plated shovel
Very nice indeed, although with about the same power from a Jacobs L-4 as you would get from a stock Ford V8, it is probably more about the looks and the sound than the oomph.
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Very nice indeed, although with about the same power from a Jacobs L-4 as you would get from a stock Ford V8, it is probably more about the looks and the sound than the oomph.
I bet it doesn't cool so well down in that hole. I think I'd be keeping a close eye on the cylinder head temps.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Quote from a police spokesman:

"As we have said before, this is an extraordinarily complex investigation, but we remain committed to finding answers for the families and friends of those who died."

The AAIB are the best in the world at this job and the decision as to whether or not the outcome of the investigation justifies the prosecution of individuals lies within the CAA's remit. I can't help thinking that it is a colossal waste of resources for the police to be investigating this in the first place, let alone spending the sort of money it takes to bring a case such as this in the high court.
ted.walsh

Post by ted.walsh »

oooerrr, not sure I'd like to work ot the engine failure part of the risk assessment on that flight Path!
great picture though, bet it was fun to fly... :P