The Vulcan XH558 & General Aviation Thread

Renegadenemo

Re: Vulcan XH558

Post by Renegadenemo »

'Just over half of what you pay goes to Vulcan to the Sky'... where's the rest go then?
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Stuart Baker

Post by Stuart Baker »

All depends on what you consider to be the "NE". The old bird has a new home at Doncaster Airport, which to me is about 100 miles NE - from Sunderland I guess it's about the same in the opposite direction.

I went to her welcoming show last Wednesday to see her back at RAF Finningley (now Doncaster Robin Hood Airport) where she was based during the '60s. She flew out of there this morning on her way to the Southend air show

In the words of the Vulcan to the Sky Trust chairman at that event, her new home is appropriate in more ways than one. Not for me to repeat his comment (although the guys at Planes TV probably have it on film). Just think about what Robin Hood was famous for in relation to money...

Despite all that, the new hanger should eventually be able to offer access to the public for school visits, corporate events etc, which will help in their fundraising. Unlike Bluebird which will only be allowed out to play when the bureaucrats say so, she does get to burn rather a lot of money in kersosene every year and also racks up some serious costs in maintenance which has to be provided by industry otherwise a different group of bureaucrats won't let her out to play. Whilst some companies are able to provide support to both XH558 and Bluebird as a way of promoting their heritage, there does come a point where the cost of a donation outweighs the benefits, or can't be justified to or hidden from the shareholders.
captain sparkle

Post by captain sparkle »

looking forward to seeing her over Douglas bay, Isle of Man, on the senior race day, friday 10th June.
TED WALSH AT SPEED ON CONISTON

Now over 3.1 Million hits on Youtube, subscribers needed! permanent positions available, please apply now!
minty4371

Post by minty4371 »

Latest amount of donations as of 1st June 2011 - £206,248
Next update on Friday 3rd June 2011.
Total amount needed by July is £350,000
The Trustees will meet again at the end of June to assess progress.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Copy cats... they've obviously gone poaching all our sponsors.

StewDurham

Post by StewDurham »

OK - help needed from you capable lot, how do I persuade the lovely Susan that it's a total co-incidence that I've booked a lakeside camping pitch looking over Windermere on the same weekend that the Windermere Air Show is happening. Honest love, I didn't plan it that way.. :P She's still never believed that it was an accident that me and my mate bought the girls tickets for Take That which was on the same weekend as the Jim Clark Rally! :D
Good luck to the BBP team, makes me proud to be British (and a North-easterner to boot!). Damn fine work, chaps!
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Won't it scare the ducks? I got that question.

StewDurham

Post by StewDurham »

They can't exceed 100mph.. :D
Good luck to the BBP team, makes me proud to be British (and a North-easterner to boot!). Damn fine work, chaps!
StewDurham

Post by StewDurham »

Renegadenemo wrote:Won't it scare the ducks? I got that question.
Hell yeah your tin thing will... But they will have forgotten 3 minutes later..
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I formally offered to replace at my own expense any ducks that we broke and it was duly reported in the Telegraph. I liked that.