The Vulcan XH558 & General Aviation Thread

Renegadenemo

Re: The Vulcan XH558 & General Aviation Thread

Post by Renegadenemo »

There's best bits..? I nearly moderated that as a kindness!
Me too, but as I love computer games as I love hypodermic needles I decided I was just being an old grump. Glad it wasn't just me...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
sbt

Post by sbt »

Shot across the bows accepted, whether it was intended as such or not, in good humour.

Sometimes I forget that most people don't have my weird tastes and sense of humour. Or play quite so many video games or watch as much YouTube as I do.

Mind you, its games like this that will eventually be the only way to experience later historical aircraft. My personal prediction is that you will gradually see 'virtual restoration' emerging as a substitute and parallel activity to physical restoration. I'm lucky enough to have seen the Vulcan fly but many will never do so - the next best thing, although a distant second, will be a high quality simulation. Virtual Formation Aerobatics, performed 'live' are already a 'thing', eventually the full-on virtual airshow, complete with 'in the pilots seat' views and attention to detail of the level required to restore the physical item will arrive. It will never replace the real thing but will sit beside it, just as detailed books, historic photos, paintings and memoirs do.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

It wasn't a shot across the bows at all - that was just our quirky humour... And no doubt simulations will have an increasing role. I've flown a couple of proper training sim's and they are so lifelike it's amazing. I landed a 747 in Hong Kong once and I swear I could feel the humidity by the time we taxied to the gate. I got to watch the first and last flight of Concorde, I remember Vulcan's tearing over the Lake District when I was a small boy and I was present at two shuttle launches but my kids will see none of those things. But then I guess they'll get to see stuff for real that I might only ever see as a simulation. Swings and roundabouts.

Ste

Post by Ste »

Vulcan on main bbc news today

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34505010
quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

I happened to catch that Vulcan item on the Beeb when it went out live this morning, then to my pleasant surprise the aircraft flew right over my village a few hours later, just when I was outside for a minute.

Was pretty sure the moment I heard a sound, glanced up and caught a few seconds' glimpse through a gap in the trees as it passed by, low, and vanished. Chuffed - and a little wistful - as I'm sure that'll be my last time.

Again from the Beeb, nice little item here today for Red Arrows fans:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0351bb ... t_vidclip1

Nigel
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Do we know when/where the final Vulcan flight is taking place?

polo

Post by polo »

She will have to fly over Woodford where the first flight took place. Hopefully my Dad will last that long and see the first and last flights.
quicksilver-wsr

In fairness, Mike, our pay-back for the money we've all jointly contributed to XH558 has been made in full already - by the fabulous displays we've witnessed over the years since her return to flight.

The VST's hands are somewhat tied, I feel, with this final flight. For my money, they've done more than enough.

Nigel
Last edited by quicksilver-wsr on Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quicksilver-wsr

I agree that the paid-up supporters should be able to watch the final flight, but the nature of an aeroplane in flight is such that many, many more who didn't contribute a penny would also be there to watch, and the disruption at Robin Hood is likely to be so considerable that in these days of everybody claiming compensation from everybody else, it's the VST that will catch a cold and that could result in less money being available for XH558's upkeep after the tires cool down.

We'll agree to disagree, as you say. Like you, I don't give a stuff about watching the final flight, but I could see big problems ahead if a date and time had been announced with sufficient notice to allow all and sundry to attend. Clogged roads for miles around, many people missing commercial flights, bonuses all round for the impoverished lawyers of this land, and nightmares for the VST.

Whatever happens, it'll be interesting to see how it pans out on the day.

Nigel
quicksilver-wsr

I imagine this is total tosh.

Why people can't just enjoy XH558 along with everyone else beats me.

Nigel