Wreck Location

Matt Smith

Wreck Location

Post by Matt Smith » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:31 am

Would the team confirm the location of the wreck where it was found and direction it was travelling at the time of the accident, the various footage(s) of the scene give little clues - or is it a closely guarded secret.

f1steveuk

Re: Wreck Location

Post by f1steveuk » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:53 pm

Unless Futcher's map was considerably out, the direction would have been South to North, and as his divers found it in 1967 I would have thought there was little to be secretive about, although I have onlt ever seen one version of his map that actually had the latitude and longitude numbers left on.
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:28 pm

The wreck was 200m south of the North timing post towards the East shore and nowhere near where Futcher's map said it ought to be!
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:14 am

Being that they were Royal Navy, who sometimes have to fire very large guns at things, that's a tad worrying!
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................

captain sparkle

Post by captain sparkle » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:19 pm

Renegadenemo wrote:The wreck was 200m south of the North timing post towards the East shore and nowhere near where Futcher's map said it ought to be!
Is there now a marker at this (or the crash) site?

malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:50 pm

I saw no markers when looking at the lake last week. As an ex-wreck site there is probably no need. As an amateur at position location may I make the observation that the craft was not intentionally going to pass close to Fir Island so that gives a probable distance off the shoreline to add to Bill's measurements. Good hunting.
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:52 pm

For all practical purposes there is no wreck site. We've picked it clean as a whistle.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

captain sparkle

Post by captain sparkle » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:43 pm

malcolm uk wrote:I saw no markers when looking at the lake last week.
That was the reason for my question. While down by the lake there was a small buoy, just off fir island, we didn't know if it was to mark rocks or something else. i have a picture, if you want to see it.
It served a purpose, as we listened to 'out of this world' on a mini system,in the grey autumn atmosphere, we toasted with a hip flask of Chivas regal.
Bizarrely, the turbine boat came past, at full chat, as the song was playing.
Talk about the hairs on the back of your neck standing up!!
Very nearly had two grown men in tears.

James-C

Post by James-C » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:25 pm

I did the 'Cambels on Coniston' Cruise in the summer, they pointed out the wreck site wich as far as I can tell was spot on the description above. I thoroughly enjoyed the cruise and the commentary was pretty accurate to my limited knowledge. The only down side was the guy seemed to have a penchant for the motor museum and the plastic cut out rather than the Ruskin Museum (which he didn't mention) right on his doorstep. A shame realy as he obviously was very proud of the companys involvement in recovering Donald.

None the less if you have the opertunity it was a good trip.

James

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:59 pm

A shame realy as he obviously was very proud of the companys involvement in recovering Donald.
Which company's involvement in recovering Donald? There was no one involved except the BBP team and the coroner.