Wreck Location

Terminator

Re: Wreck Location

Post by Terminator » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:48 pm

Company what company?

If I may offer up a suggestion as I think you may have misunderstood the lads on the Coniston launch to whom I think you are referring to here. Might it be they were actually referring to their involvement on the 12th September 2001 in carrying Donald's Coffin through the measured Kilo one last time? As Bill states nobody else other than the Bluebird project team and the Coroner were involved in the recovery of Donald. Infact it was kept under wraps until the very last minute. This was plain to see given the shocked expressions of the People luckily enough to be holidaying at Pier Cottage as the Casket draped in the Union Flag came ashore and down the jetty :o

Novie
I'll Be back
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"

James-C

Post by James-C » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:11 pm

Apologies for the misunderstanding as terminator has said so much better than I did, it was their carrying of Donald's Coofin that they were refeing to.

James

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:45 am

Ahh - that makes more sense. The Coniston Launch took Donald down the lake one last time in absolutely foul (though somehow appropriate) weather and we all got soaked out there on the foredeck. I felt properly sorry for Carl as he was the only one without an overcoat and therefore first to be soaked to the skin but he never complained, such was his fierce pride at being part things that day.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

sal the diver

Post by sal the diver » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:13 am

Renegadenemo wrote:For all practical purposes there is no wreck site. We've picked it clean as a whistle.

damm better hang up me flippers, goggles and oxey gum then!

soz lads, been off the scene but back with avengence as usual! better go, someone shouted for a beer........
who me???

Terminator

Post by Terminator » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:24 am

Our Sally the diver going into retirement I doubt that very much indeed :o Nice to know you are still alive and kicking though Old friend. Sounds like you are having a party judging by the time of your posting Sally. A real good knees up at a Marillion concert is well overdue me thinks :D and something we should organise for the future once this awful weather has gone! Speak to you soon Sally take care Lass. ;)

Novie

I'll Be back
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"

lowest

Post by lowest » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:02 pm

I guess this is a bit of a newbie question but here goes.... Is the wreck site a secret if not where is it, a mark on a map would do? I am or was fairly familiar with the lake.
Could someone tell me where the measured mile (or kilometre) was? I'll be in Coniston at the end of the month taking my usual "reliving my youth" sailing trip (my father, brother and I used to capsize a GP14 and later a Merlin Rocket lots every summer) and would be interested to know either where it all ended or at least where the measured distance was located.

sheppane

Post by sheppane » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:25 pm

lowest wrote:I guess this is a bit of a newbie question but here goes.... Is the wreck site a secret if not where is it, a mark on a map would do? I am or was fairly familiar with the lake.
Could someone tell me where the measured mile (or kilometre) was? I'll be in Coniston at the end of the month taking my usual "reliving my youth" sailing trip (my father, brother and I used to capsize a GP14 and later a Merlin Rocket lots every summer) and would be interested to know either where it all ended or at least where the measured distance was located.
The measured KM runs from a point 60m south of Cock point on the eastern shore and where moor gill foot enters the lake on the western shore. The impact point is approx 200m south of the northern km 'gate'. If you consult an OS map, you should be able to pick out these landmarks.
My forthcoming book, This Rather Stony Path, link below, will have a detailed map of the course K7 travelled on the 4th Jan 67.

Regards,

Neil
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/

lowest

Post by lowest » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:50 pm

Many thanks Neil, the OS map will be out before my better half and I get to Coniston at the end of the month and the appropriate reverence will be shown now I know where it should be shown.
Looks like you’re the same age as me and your interest was started by the same catalyst as my own although mine has lain dormant for some time.
Very much looking forward to the book by the way. As the last book I read on the subject was from Leyland library many many years ago could you recommend any good books currently available?

Steve.

sheppane

Post by sheppane » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:33 pm

lowest wrote: Very much looking forward to the book by the way. As the last book I read on the subject was from Leyland library many many years ago could you recommend any good books currently available?

Steve.
Steve,

Get hold of a copy of the following:
David Tremayne - Donald Campbell: The Man Behind The Mask
David De-Lara - Leo Villa's Bluebird Album

Both are available at the Ruskin Museum in Coniston.

Also, see if you can find a copy of Steve Holter's book Leap into Legend. Its more difficult to track down, but you should be able to find a copy on www.abebooks.co.uk

All 3 are truly excellent books.

Neil
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/