'Donald Campbell- The Final Record Attempt' by Neil Sheppard

Andrew453

Re: 'This Rather Stony Path' - forthcoming book by Neil Shep

Post by Andrew453 »

sheppane wrote: I will be doing signed copies. I intend to do a book launch at the Ruskin Museum, one in London and perhaps others. The only signed copies available will be ones purchased at a launch event, or through my website. The shop is not online as yet, but it may be a good idea to sign up to my news letter so I can keep you updated.

I'm looking into doing a limited edition book in a slip cover with other potential signatories, and an electronic pass code to a private section of the website containing significant research material. This is only in the planning stage at the moment, but I'm hopeful that we can come up with something really special for those who want more than just a copy of the book.

Watch this space.

Neil
Many thanks for the info, Neil. Have pulled it from the Amazon wish list and signed up for the newsletter.
sheppane

Post by sheppane »

Here is a small selection of the images I considered for publication. Some made it and some didn't. I hope they are indicative of both the quality and originality of those that will appear in the book. There will be a few old favorites, but a lot of unseen images as well. The first image in this series shows K7 with the sandbags, shadowed by Leo and Robbie in the Dory, about to take off. Note DMC watching for spray, no doubt hoping the reversed shields work.

Enjoy
51Nu9XVpGEL__SS500_.jpg
51lCT79GzPL__SS500_.jpg
51HVMWlCHEL__SS500_.jpg
51Qb7aVZmaL__SS500_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sheppane on Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/
sheppane

Post by sheppane »

A few more ...
201166.jpg
211166.jpg
211166_2.jpg
221166.jpg
These were taken in November 66, specifically the 21, and 22nd after the spare engine was installed, when the team was trying everything they could to get K7 to plane ... note the modifications made to the spray shields, first marine ply backstops, then the aluminium sheet extensions to the original perspex shields.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sheppane on Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/
tas

Post by tas »

As usual I'm loving the pics. They really make clear just how big the sponsons are, and the shot of DCs head thru the canopy makes it clear just how small the cockpit entrance must be.

Subsequent sponsons discussion split off into appropriate thread so as not to derail Neil's thread -Mike
"He who goes to bed with an itchy bum, wakes up with a smelly finger"
sheppane

Post by sheppane »

DMC salutes the crowds in Adelaide after the 64 LSR success
9044842.jpg
DMC & Tonia at Coniston in May 1959 after the sixth WSR success
8957591.jpg

sheppane

Post by sheppane »

Top Gear Magazine are doing a 3 page feature on DMC and Bluebird, including a feature on the project in the February edition of the magazine. It all happened rather quickly this week. The article should include a few period images, that will also feature in my book, including some high speed shots. Needless to say, as a quid pro quo for supplying the images, I asked them to plug the book and the www.bluebirdk7.com website. Apparently, the magazine has a readership in excess of 2 million, with sales in excess of 200,000 per month, so if even 0.1% of readers show an interest, and buy the book, it should swell the BBP coffers by a few quid...

sheppane

Post by sheppane »

A couple more photographs that may be of interest, and furtherance of my quest to eventually equip the BBP forum with as good a period photographic library as it is possible to get...

DMC and David Benson (Daily Express) on the jetty at Coniston in Dec 66, contemplating the weather.
1452609.jpg
Tonia and DMC immediately after the Dumbleyung success. Tonia swam out to meet the boat as it was coming in. DMC completed this record in polo shirt and swimming trunks! Leo is in the second tender boat behind.
9044857.jpg
These images aren't in the book. I have some slightly better ones that depict the same scenes ...

StewDurham

Post by StewDurham »

Wonderful pics, really looking forward to this book, will be heading to a signing session if there's one up here at the cold end of the country. Would love to help the BBP team if you do do a launch up there, I'm only 45 mins south, Newcastle traffic depending!!!

Stew.
Good luck to the BBP team, makes me proud to be British (and a North-easterner to boot!). Damn fine work, chaps!
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

Poor Mr Benson. I went to see him a couple of times. He reached down and did up the harness for Donald on January 4th, and therefore the last person to speak to Donald face to face. I know David had his own problems/demons that he was fighting, but you could tell it had stayed with him, and it hurt, therefore a very moving picture.
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Poor Mr Benson. I went to see him a couple of times. He reached down and did up the harness for Donald on January 4th, and therefore the last person to speak to Donald face to face.
That's interesting... was Donald strapped in before the boat was launched?
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.