John Cobb- Crusader/Railton Special

Terminator

Re: John Cobb- Crusader/Railton Special

Post by Terminator »

I also recall the Railton Mobil Special being on display at the Old Science Museum were it had been seriously neglected! So much so the seat had to be removed from public display having deteriated very badly!! The seat was then packed away and hidden from view such was the embarresment It was said at the time! The R.M Special was then loaned to the Donnington Collection whilst the new building was sorted were it was given some much T.L.C by Kevin Wheatcroft and Co. And what a splendid job they made of it, the car once again displayed in all its glory. Not stuffed in some dust ridden corner and left to fall into neglect :shock: The Donnigton collection would have been a good home for it but now it is on display in the new building in Birmingham the name escapes me at this time but it was looking good last i saw it.
I wonder if they ever cracked what the lightweight removable body was made up of? Not just normal Ally as i recall. Kevin Wheatcroft had it tested and re-tested and it's make up bemused all at the time! :?:
Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
conistoncollie

Post by conistoncollie »

The Railton Mobil Special was acquired by Birmingham Science Museum from, I believe, Dunlop in 1955.
The old museum was a real Aladdin's Cave. Full of dusty corners to explore. And it was free.
The new museum costs around £13 per adult to get in.
malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk »

On weekdays, during the school term time, the cost of visiting the Railton (and elsewhere in the Think Tank Museum) between 3 pm and 5 pm is just £3.00. A full day for 'concessions' is just £9.50. All prices are as December 2016!
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations
rich1608

Post by rich1608 »

Does anyone know what happened to the plan to recover Crusader from the depths of Loch Ness as described in this article? https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Diver+wh ... 0128413636 This is the only reference I've seen to raising the boat so I guess it never happened in the end.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Yes, he was the fruitcake we had appointed as a BBC approved diver because he used a rebreather like the rest of us ('breathers were frowned upon in those days) who then tried to take over the project, failed completely then told the world he was going to raise Crusader in an act of poorly researched retaliation. Last I heard he was some kind of life-coach. I did like the guy, though, crazy as he was...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
rich1608

Post by rich1608 »

He does come across as a rather colourful chap in the Search for Bluebird film. I would be surprised if there's anything left of Crusader given that it's made of wood and has been in much deeper water than Bluebird for much longer. Someone with deep pockets might commission a replica one day, you never know.
rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

My understanding is that the majority of the wooden hull was burned immediately after the accident, on the orders of John Cobb's Widow. I am guessing that the main wreckage apparently located in the Loch is the remains of the Ghost engine.

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I suggested to the crew a few times that we build a replica Crusader as a follow on project it alas, no takers.

mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Renegadenemo wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:43 am I suggested to the crew a few times that we build a replica Crusader as a follow on project it alas, no takers.
Shame. This might have made a good starting point:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/De-Havilland ... 1642171693
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

No shortage of engines and l thought working with timber instead of metal would be interesting. I got some of the plans and a bunch of pic's but the idea didn't fly.