'Bluebird- The Spirit Reborn' Documentary Info/DVD Release

Drewski

Re: 'Bluebird- The Spirit Reborn' Documentary Transmission I

Post by Drewski » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:56 pm

the sneak preview looks awesome.... really looking forward to the full programme, and to the Dvd and added tasty bits that will hopefully come out soon !

well done...
Many Miles away, there's a shadow on a door, of a cottage on the Shore, of a Dark Scottish Lake.....

jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:46 pm

nice one mike! ;)
The world is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, then steal your dreams..

malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:48 pm

For the commentary to infer that the lifting of the sponson should have been known to someone on the team and that the pilot ignored protocol is too easy. Analysis of footage by Neil (and others?) took 43 years to come to the conclusion that lift had occured on the first run and could be seen. With K7 the boats pilot was always the person in charge of the attempt, once away from the jetty.

Modern telemetry may have helped with instant and continuous information and immediate video review, but that was not available in 1967.

Should be a programme to watch and re-watch so that more lessons can be learnt.

I've gone ..... (exhale) ....

Malcolm
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:42 am

I'm always cautious when it comes down to discussing/suggesting the cause of the accident, so for me the landmark thing here will be the first ever full presentation of how the boat broke up on impact. That story has come from the boat herself- the condition and location of her pieces of wreckage and so on- so at least that can't be argued with!

Takes me back to '85/86, when Ballard found the Titanic and explored it, and there was a rush of new information that challenged and changed so much of what we thought we knew about the ship. Feels like that to me now- we're all about to see something that will change how we see that big cloud of impact spray forever.

'I'm going!'

malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:06 pm

I am not sure that seeing the boat break into parts and sink to various positions on the lake bed is something I need to understand or watch even in CGI. Very little of that can be applied to future attempts.

The events leading up to an incident can in some cases help with planning so as to avoid incidents in the future.

Studying boat videos has already demonstrated that there are many more ways to go out of control than car and land speed racers could ever manage.

I will still be watching.

"I've gone .... "
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations

sheppane

Post by sheppane » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:39 pm

I felt very honored to be asked by Bill and the Sky team to contribute. I hope you wont be disappointed.

Keith Mitchell and Tony James have worked tirelessly on an analysis of the final runs, revisiting wind tunnel test results from 54, 55 and 58, revisiting original Norris brothers documents from the 66 K7 modifications and the official post crash analysis from 67. The documentary contains the gist but not the detail, which has been exhaustively calculated over the past few 5 months. It is based around the physics that allowed K7 to operate as a hydroplane, and the limitations of that physics. No hearsay and certainly no sensationalism. The story does not require that.

I can safely say it will be comprehensive, and definitive. Professor John Stollery, who carried out Donald Campbell's wind tunnel work on all the Bluebird's from spring 1958, at Imperial College, has been of great assistance and in addition has very kindly agreed to read our finished analysis, and associate himself with the work.

The complete analysis will form the final chapter of the forthcoming book - 'This Rather Stony Path' - Donald Campbell - The Last Record Attempt.

I would like to go on the record here to say that the work that Keith and Tony have done is nothing short of magnificent. The book would be incomplete without their contribution.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:19 pm

'Definitive', eh? :?

In another Titanic-related thought, I'm now minded to paraphrase Walter Lord's closing words in 'A Night To Remember'- "It is a rash man indeed who would set himself up as a final arbiter on all that happened the incredible morning that Bluebird crashed".

I hope this analysis is as good as you say it is Neil! One thing's for certain, we're not going to be short of discussion on here once everyone has seen it...

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:58 am

I must flag up a slight flaw in the animation and it's my fault. Although the boat hit the water rolled 45 degs left, the roll took place in the very last instant before she hit and she yawed left too but I forgot to explain this to the animators so the roll begins much too early as they knew how K7 looked when she went airborne and how she looked when she impacted so they just shared the change in position evenly throughout the somersault. It matters little because it's the attitude at impact that's important but I thought I'd flag it ahead of time so when someone pops up telling us all it can't be right I can send them back to read this...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

ace_chris

Post by ace_chris » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:45 am

sheppane wrote:I felt very honored to be asked by Bill and the Sky team to contribute. I hope you wont be disappointed.

Keith Mitchell and Tony James have worked tirelessly on an analysis of the final runs, revisiting wind tunnel test results from 54, 55 and 58, revisiting original Norris brothers documents from the 66 K7 modifications and the official post crash analysis from 67. The documentary contains the gist but not the detail, which has been exhaustively calculated over the past few 5 months. It is based around the physics that allowed K7 to operate as a hydroplane, and the limitations of that physics. No hearsay and certainly no sensationalism. The story does not require that.

I can safely say it will be comprehensive, and definitive. Professor John Stollery, who carried out Donald Campbell's wind tunnel work on all the Bluebird's from spring 1958, at Imperial College, has been of great assistance and in addition has very kindly agreed to read our finished analysis, and associate himself with the work.

The complete analysis will form the final chapter of the forthcoming book - 'This Rather Stony Path' - Donald Campbell - The Last Record Attempt.

I would like to go on the record here to say that the work that Keith and Tony have done is nothing short of magnificent. The book would be incomplete without their contribution.
Interesting reading indeed...With regards to the final run analysis, will this supercede the crash analysis presented by Julian Happian Smith at the 2002 inquest?

Chris

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:12 am

Interesting reading indeed...With regards to the final run analysis, will this supercede the crash analysis presented by Julian Happian Smith at the 2002 inquest?
Although the later work adds detail and fleshes out certain aspects of the accident, all roads lead back to the original conclusion drawn there and then... he went too fast and took off.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler